Subject: [IGSMAIL-1982] AGU Special Session on Polar Motion
From: T.M. Eubanks
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:01:39 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Aug 11 10:01:39 PDT 1998      Message Number 1982
******************************************************************************

Author: T.M. Eubanks
Subject: AGU Special Session on Polar Motion

   We would like to invite submissions to the follow Special
Session for the Fall 1998 Meeting of the AGU.

                                        Regards
                                        Marshall Eubanks
                                        [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Polar Motions from Hours to Decades"

co-chairs:  Marshall Eubanks (USNO) & Rui Ponte (AER)

Both the accuracy of Polar Motion measurement series and the analysis of the
geophysical excitation of the Polar Motion continue to improve dramatically.
Global Positioning System (GPS) observations now provide a continuous daily
series of highly accurate Polar Motion estimates. The Polar Motion series
from Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) and Satellite Laser Ranging
(SLR) are now long enough to unambiguously separate the Chandler and Annual
wobbles, and the space geodetic data should therefore now be able to
directly address the excitation of the Chandler wobble. On the longest time
scales, the HIPPARCOS satellite  celestial reference frame has been used to
re-determine the Polar Motion using the historical optical astrometric data,
and "decadal" Polar Motions may now be observable.  Meteorological estimates
of the Polar Motion excitation are now available in decades-long homogeneous
"re-analysis" series,  while oceanic angular momentum estimates are finally
demonstrating coherence with the observed Polar Motion. We invite
contributions that address improvements in the observations and analysis of
the Polar Motion, including

   Results from the new GPS series, and from comparisons between GPS, SLR,
and VLBI series.

   Results from the "HIPPARCOS" re-analysis of the century-long optical 
dataset.

   Studies of the optimal combination of results from 
these diverse techniques.

   Studies of the new excitation estimates from satellite altimetry, 
numerical ocean modeling, hydrological cycle modeling, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fall Meeting will be held in San Francisco, California, 06-10 December
1998.  For information about the meeting and submission of abstracts, please
refer to http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm98top.html or to the 30 June 1998 issue
of EOS.  Abstracts MUST be received at AGU headquarters by Wed., 26 August
1998 (if submitted by express/postal mail or by e-mail) or Wed., 02 September
1998 (if submitted using the AGU interactive WWW form).

Marshall Eubanks
Code EO
U.S. Naval Observatory
3450 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C., 20392
U.S.A.

Rui M. Ponte                                     [email-masked]
Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc.     http://www.aer.com/
840 Memorial Drive                               Voice: (617)547-6207
Cambridge, MA  02139                             Fax:   (617)661-6479

[Mailed From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>]