Subject: [IGSMAIL-1979] AGU Special Session
From: Rick Bennett
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:55:31 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Aug 10 12:55:31 PDT 1998      Message Number 1979
******************************************************************************

Author: Rick Bennett
Subject: AGU Special Session

Subject: AGU Special Session

Please consider contributing an abstract to the 1998 Fall AGU special  
session: 

TECTONICS OF WESTERN NORTH AMERICA INFERRED FROM GEODETIC DATA
 
Conveners: Mark Murray  ([email-masked])
           Rick Bennett ([email-masked])
 
The main goal of this session is to bring together research in the
broad fields of geodesy and tectonophysics to understand the
kinematics of present-day western North America deformation from
Alaska to Mexico.  Western North America is largely understood as a
diffuse continental plate boundary zone driven by interactions between
the Pacific, North America, Juan de Fuca, and other plates expressed
in rich variety of tectonically active strike-slip, subduction zone,
extensional, and volcanic regions.  A growing body of evidence,
including physical models of such deformation, suggests that
intraplate forces, including buoyancy forces and perhaps tractions
along the base of the plate, may also play an important role.
Continuously operating GPS networks installed over the last few years
now span much of this vast region.  Data from these networks, combined
with campaign-mode GPS, trilateration, and other geodetic data, allow
the pattern of present-day deformation to be determined at an
unprecedented range of spatial and temporal scales.  This session will
present results of these recent deformation measurements and how they
constrain tectonic models of deformation and strain accumulation in
western North America. 

The abstract deadline is 2 September 1998 if submitted 
via the AGU interactive WWW form, and is 26 August 1998 if submitted
otherwise.  For information about the meeting, including information
pertaining to the preparation and submission of abstracts, please
refer to URL <http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm98top.html> or to the 30
June 1998 issue of EOS.  
 
Rick Bennett
Harvard-Smithsonian CfA, 60 Garden St, MS 42, Cambridge, MA 02138-1516 
Phone:(617)495-7453 FAX:(617)495-7345  E-mail:[email-masked]

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (Richard Bennett)]