Subject: [IGSMAIL-1966] AGU geodesy/tectonics special session
From: Kristine Larson
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:32:51 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Jul 27 13:32:51 PDT 1998      Message Number 1966
******************************************************************************

Author: Kristine Larson
Subject: AGU geodesy/tectonics special session

<<<<    A geodesy/tectonics special session for the Fall 1998 AGU. >>>>

               SPACE GEODESY AND GLOBAL PLATE MOTIONS
Space geodetic techniques provide measurements that can be used to infer
crustal deformation over global scales and can be compared with predictions
from conventional global plate motion models, which average motion over
millions of years.
In the past 5 years the scope and accuracy of space geodetic techniques has
expanded greatly.  In some regions geodetic measurements are probably
more accurate than conventional global plate motion models.
In this session we focus on space geodetic techniques and their contribution to
understanding plate motion and intraplate deformation.
E.g., are there any decisive differences between angular velocities
inferred from geodetic data and those of NUVEL-1A, which is
mainly based on data averaged over 3 million years?
What part of these differences are caused by inaccuracies in global plate
motion models and what part is due to non-steady plate motions?
What bounds can be placed on intraplate deformation?
How is relative plate motion accommodated within diffuse plate
boundaries?  Do velocities for island and non-island sites agree equally well
with plate predictions?
We welcome studies using GPS, VLBI, SLR, DORIS, doppler, "conventional"
plate motion approaches, or any combination of these techniques.

CONVENORS:
Kristine Larson, [email-masked]
Richard Gordon, [email-masked]

The Fall Meeting will be held in San Francisco, California, 06-10 December
1998.  For information about the meeting and submission of abstracts, please
refer to http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm98top.html or to the 30 June 1998 issue
of EOS.  Abstracts MUST be received at AGU headquarters by Wed., 26 August
1998 (if submitted by express/postal mail or by e-mail) or Wed., 02 September
1998 (if submitted using the AGU interactive WWW form).

[Mailed From: Robert Liu <[email-masked]>]