Subject: [IGSMAIL-1961] AGU sessions (revised)
From: M. Watkins, Y. Bar-Sever, J. Ray
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 5:03:34 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Jul 24  5:03:34 PDT 1998      Message Number 1961
******************************************************************************

Author: M. Watkins, Y. Bar-Sever, J. Ray
Subject: AGU sessions (revised)

Inadvertently two special geodesy sessions were planned for the Fall 1998
AGU Meeting with nearly identical scope.  The co-conveners have agreed to
merge these two.  Session G10 "Absolute versus relative GPS determinations
using the IGS Network" will be incorporated into the session:

   G11 "Global Systematic Errors in the GPS System"

   The Global Positioning System (GPS) has demonstrated outstanding
   capabilities for relative positioning on the Earth's surface at the
   millimeter level.  However, certain systematic errors, for example, in
   the scale (and origin) of the terrestrial system, still exist at
   observable levels.  Causes identified so far include media effects,
   orbit mismodeling, and transmitter and receiver phase center location
   uncertainties.  This session is intended to raise the geodetic community's
   awareness of the existence and treatment of these global effects (as
   opposed to local, site specific errors) and to begin discussing possible
   solutions.  We welcome contributions discussing any errors in the GPS
   system which affect many sites, including systematic differences between
   the Block IIR and IIA satellites, large-scale errors due to ionosphere
   and troposphere, orbit modeling, and others.

This call does not explicitly mention other global errors, such as effects
on Earth orientation parameters, but those too are included.

You are encouraged to submit a paper for this merged session.  (All abstracts
submitted to either G10 or G11 will be considered together.)

The Fall Meeting will be held in San Francisco, California, 06-10 December
1998.  For information about the meeting and submission of abstracts, please
refer to http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm98top.html or to the 30 June 1998 issue
of EOS.  Abstracts MUST be received at AGU headquarters by Wed., 26 August
1998 (if submitted by express/postal mail or by e-mail) or Wed., 02 September
1998 (if submitted using the AGU interactive WWW form).

co-chairs: M. Watkins (Jet Propulsion Laboratory;  [email-masked])
           Y. Bar-Sever (Jet Propulsion Laboratory;  [email-masked])
           J. Ray (US Naval Observatory; [email-masked])

[Mailed From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>]