Subject: [IGSMAIL-1942] First Circular -- IGS Network Systems Workshop (again)
From: Carey Noll and Ruth Neilan
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:34:27 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Jul  9 16:34:27 PDT 1998      Message Number 1942
******************************************************************************

Author: Carey Noll and Ruth Neilan
Subject: First Circular -- IGS Network Systems Workshop (again)

   (To ensure that IGS mail recipients receive this message without
   distortion, we are sending it once again.  Please ignore if you've
   already received a clean copy.)

                  IGS Network Systems Workshop

                          Annapolis, MD
                       November 2-5, 1998

                         First Circular

General Workshop Information
----------------------------

     NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, through the Crustal Dynamics
Data Information (CDDIS), an IGS Global Data Center, in conjunction
with the IGS Central Bureau, will host the IGS Network Systems
Workshop for three and one half days on November 2-5, 1998 in
Annapolis, MD.  The goals of this workshop include: 

     - developing a closer community within the IGS infrastructure
     - strengthening communications within this community
     - improving the performance of the network
     - developing a shared vision of the future network
     - preparing a proceedings targeted along the lines of an "IGS
       Network Operations Plan" that would document the network 
       operations of the IGS and future plans 

      The IGS has been an operational service for nearly five years,
providing GPS data and products from a globally distributed network of
high precision GPS receivers.  Since its inception, the IGS has not
sponsored a workshop of this type, focusing on the network and
infrastructure issues and how future plans for the IGS affect these
components.  This workshop will provide a venue for the various
network components of the IGS to meet and discuss our current
configurations, problems and their resolutions, how to incorporate the
many future requirements into our existing infrastructure, and what
new technologies are available that we should take advantage of. 

      Station operators and data center representatives are encouraged
to bring poster paper presentations.  Furthermore, network/station
contacts attending the workshop will be requested to bring additional
information such as the following: 

     - Photos and other information of the station 
     - Data flow template filled in for each subnetwork/station
     - Logs and forms to be verified at the workshop either on web 
       interface or hardcopy 

More details on the preparation of this material will be forthcoming
in the near future. This information will be collected by the Central
Bureau to use in the new, improved, web-based IGS Central Bureau
Information System (CBIS). 

Topics of the Workshop
----------------------

     - State of the IGS
     - Future Requirements of the IGS
     - Physical Site Specifications
     - Communications and Data Links
     - Network Performance and Upgrade Issues
     - Data Center Performance
     - Network Monitoring and Performance
     - Central Bureau Information System Review and Recommendations

Conveners
---------

     Ruth Neilan, IGS Central Bureau, Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
          Pasadena, CA 
     Carey Noll, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD

Program Committee
-----------------

     IGS Infrastructure Committee
          Yehuda Bock, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 
               La Jolla, CA 
          Steve Fisher, Jet Propulsion Laboratory/UNAVCO, 
               Boulder, CO
          Werner Gurtner, Astronomical Institute of Berne, 
               Switzerland
          Jan Kouba, Natural Resources Canada
          Ulf Lindqwister, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 
               Pasadena, CA
          Chuck Meertens, University NAVSTAR Consortium, 
               Boulder, CO
          Ruth Neilan, IGS Central Bureau, Jet Propulsion 
               Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
          Carey Noll, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD
     Ludwig Combrinck, Hartebeestoek Radio Observatory, 
               South Africa
     Loic Daniel, Institute Geographic National, France
     Yuki Hatanka, Geographical Survey Institute, Japan
     Martin Hendy, Australian Survey and Land Information Group, 
               Australia
     Jan Johansson, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden
     Hans Peter Plag, Geodetic Institute, Norwegian Mapping 
               Authority, Honefoss,  Norway
     Jim Ray, U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington, D.C.
     Wolfgang Schlueter, Bundesamt fuer Kartographie und Geodaisie, 
               Germany
     Tim Springer, Astronomical Institute of Berne, Switzerland
     James Zumberge, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA

Local Organizer
---------------

     Carey Noll, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD

Who Should Attend?
------------------

     IGS station and network operators, data center contacts,
interested representatives from the analysis centers, and the IGS
community in general. 

Schedule
--------

      The workshop will start mid-day, Monday November 02 and will
continue through the afternoon of Thursday November 05.  The
conveners, Program Committee, and session chairs will meet on Friday
November 06 to address actions raised during the workshop and discuss
future plans and directions.  A more detailed agenda will follow in a
future circular. 

Workshop Venue
--------------

      The workshop will be held in the Governor Calvert House, one of
the Historic Inns of Annapolis.  The Historic Inns, a series of three
hotels in downtown Annapolis, will also provide lodging for the
attendees of the workshop.  Annapolis is an historic town as well as
MarylandÕs capital and is situated on the Chesapeake Bay.  Numerous
restaurants, quaint shops, historic attractions, and waterfront are
all within walking distance of the hotels. Annapolis is about 40
minutes from Baltimore, 45 minutes from Washington, D.C. and 20
minutes from NASA GSFC.  A banquet and excursion to the Goddard
Geophysical and Astronomical Observatory are planned. 

      A registration fee will be charged to cover meeting expenses,
breaks, and special events. 

Further Information
-------------------

      A web site has been developed to provide the latest information
about the IGS Network Systems Workshop.  This site will also provide
registration and hotel information in the near future.  The URL for
the workshop web site is: 

      http://cddisa.gsfc.nasa.gov/igs_netws/netws_home.html. 

Additional information will also be distributed through email and
hardcopy in the near future. 

[Mailed From: Robert Liu <[email-masked]>]