Subject: [IGSMAIL-1911] USNO position announcement
From: Jim Ray (USNO)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 5:57:52 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Jun  3  5:57:52 PDT 1998      Message Number 1911
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Ray (USNO)
Subject: USNO position announcement

[http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/wfjic/jobs/BC6667.HTM]

 USAJOBS                                 FEDERAL OPEN COMPETITION ANNOUNCEMENTS
 -------------------------------------------------------------CONTROL NO BC6667
 ASTRONOMER
                                            OPEN PERIOD 05/27/1998 - 06/17/1998
 SERIES/GRADE: GS-1330-12/12
 SALARY: $   47066 TO $   61190, ANNUAL      PROMOTION POTENTIAL: GS-12
 ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER:  1005-56CE
 DUTY LOCATIONS: WASHINGTON, DC

 REMARKS: RELOCATION/PCS EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
          APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM QUALIFIED ELIGIBLES
          THIS POSITION REQUIRES SECRET SECURITY CLEARANCE

 CONTACT: JOB INFORMATION CENTER
          (202) 433-4930

          DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
          HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE - W
          WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
          901 M ST SE, BLDG 200
          WASHINGTON, DC  20374 5050

  Full vacancy announcement follows. Please be sure to review for complete
               qualification and "How to Apply" information.

  Human Resources Office - Washington

  Announcement No:  1005-56CE
  Opening Date:  5-27-98
  Closing Date:  6-17-98

  Supervisory/Managerial
  Probationary Period Req:  No

  Position:  ASTRONOMER
  Series/Grade:  GS-1330-12

  Salary Range:  47066 - 61190

  Organization Location:  U.S. NAVAL OBSERVATORY, WASHINGTON, DC

  Area of Consideration:  ALL SOURCES

  DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:  Earth Orientation and Satellite Geodesy -
  Analyze the Earth's changing orientation in space and examine the
  relative accuracy and usefulness of a variety of astronomical
  techniques which provide Earth orientation information.  Research 
  involves the study of modern data on the Earth's rotation, obtained
  primarily from very-long baseline radio interferometry (VLBI), and
  Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites.  Systems Analysis,
  Program Design, and Project Supervision - Evaluate data processing
  requirements as they are modified by new types and sources of Earth
  orientation data becoming available, and by changes in formats and/or
  communication systems for currently monitored data.  Develop communications
  software, error-checking routines, database design, and reporting
  techniques.  Responsible for design, coding, testing, and implementation
  of the required computer programs, and for the evaluation and updating
  of existing programs.  Prepare project proposals to serve as basis for
  other agency funding of research projects.

  QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:  Qualification requirements are described
  below and may also include substitution of education for experience or 
  selective placement factors applicable to this position.  One year of
  specialized experience at the next lower grade level (GS-11) is required.
  Specialized experience is that experience which has equipped the
  applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully
  perform the duties of the position being filled.  In addition, a
  Bachelors Degree (or higher) from an accredited institution in one or
  a combination of: astronomy, physics, mathematics, space science, or
  electronics is required.  The course work must have included differential
  and intergral calculus and 12 semester hours in astronomy and/or physics.
  A PhD. or equivalent doctoral degree can be substituted for
  specialized experience.  Alternative requirements are defined in the
  Office of Personnel Management Qualification Standards Handbook.

  KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
  1.  Ability to perform independant research.
  2.  Knowledge of satellite geodesy and GPS data analysis.
  3.  Knowledge of the VLBI geodetic technique and its use
      for measuring variations in Earth orientation.
  4.  Knowledge or and ability to use computers.

  To be considered, applications must be postmarked or arrive in
  HRO-W or one of its on-site information centers on or before the
  closing date of the announcement.

  Send to:
  Human Resources Office - Washington
  Attn:  (Announcement No.)
  901 M. Street S.E., Bldg 200
  Washington D.C. 20374-5050

  Submit the following documents:
  1) A current application for Federal employment (SF-171), Optional
     Form 612 (OF-612) or resume.
  2) A copy of your DD-214 ("Certificate of Release or Discharge from
     Active Duty").

  THE DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

[Mailed From: Jim Ray (USNO 202-762-1444) <[email-masked]>]