Subject: [IGSMAIL-1904] New Computer for the CDDIS
From: Carey Noll/CDDIS
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 14:37:29 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue May 19 14:37:29 PDT 1998      Message Number 1904
******************************************************************************

Author: Carey Noll/CDDIS
Subject: New Computer for the CDDIS

The CDDIS staff is pleased to announce that our GPS data archiving and
processing activities will soon be operational on our new UNIX
platform, a Digital AlphaServer 4000.  We have been testing our
software on this new system for many weeks and with the help of the
various IGS data centers that supply data to the CDDIS, we have
successfully ported our archive to the new computer. Some particulars:

Host name:    cddisa.gsfc.nasa.gov
Host number:  128.183.204.168
Access:       ftp and web
Data on-line: Currently 150 days on two disks, soon to be ~300 days on two
              disks
Products:     All since GPS week 0650 in compressed format

All data and product filenames are in lower case, with the exception
of the .Z indicating a compressed file. 

Users should contact Carey ([email-masked]) to obtain the
username and password for this system since it is different than those
for the VAX system, cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov.  Data and products are not
accessible on cddisa through anonymous ftp. 

As of June 1, 1998 the most timely data will be available from host
cddisa.gsfc.nasa.gov.  For the next few months, we will continue to
maintain the archive on cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov by ftp-ing data from
cddisa back to the VAX (host name cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov). 

I would like to thank the CDDIS staff, in particular, Maury Dube, for
his heroic efforts on getting this system operational.  Not only did
he have to keep after the timely data availability through our VAX
system, he had to port software to the new UNIX system.  Without his
dedication, I don't know how we could have done the job! 

We encourage feedback on the new system.  We hope you will like using
cddisa and will find the data availabilty more timely and the UNIX
system easier to use.  Please contact me if you have any questions or
problems as well as getting a username/password. 

Regards,
Carey.

[Mailed From: Carey Noll 301-286-9283 <[email-masked]>]