Subject: [IGSMAIL-1839] Lectureships and studentships at Newcastle
From: Geoff Blewitt
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:49:08 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Mar 23 15:49:08 PST 1998      Message Number 1839
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt
Subject: Lectureships and studentships at Newcastle

UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

DEPARTMENT OF GEOMATICS

Senior Lecturer and Lecturer

The Department of Geomatics has vacancies for two lecturers, one of
which may be held at Senior Lecturer level.  Applicants should have
research and teaching interests in any aspect of geomatics but
applications from specialists in geodesy, digital photogrammetry and
remote sensing would be especially welcome.

The department, with 10 academic and 6 support staff, has specialist
research groups in geodesy, GIS and digital photogrammetry and these
support a large number of research postgraduates (and currently
recruiting to a further three postgraduate studentships).  In the 
last UK Research Assessment Exercise the department was awarded a 
grade 4.  The department offers two undergraduate degree programmes, 
one in Surveying and Mapping Science and the other in Mapping 
Information Science together producing about 40 graduates per year.

Salary will be at an appropriate point at either Senior Lecturer
level (stlg29,380 - stlg33,202 p.a.),  Lecturer Grade A (stlg16,045 - stlg21,016
p.a.) or Lecturer Grade B (stlg21,894 - stlg27,985 p.a.), according to
qualifications and experience.

Informal enquiries about the posts should be made to Professor David
Parker, Department of Geomatics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle
upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK; telephone +44 191 222 6447; email:
[email-masked].  Further useful information about the
University and the Department can be found on the Internet at
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/

For further information, including how to apply, please telephone
(0191) 222 5429 (24 hour answerphone) quoting reference A5187 or
write to: Personnel Section (Academic), University of Newcastle, 1
Park Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU.

Closing date for applications: 30th April 1998

Postgraduate Studentships

The Department of Geomatics currently has available three
postgraduate studentships in the general areas of satellite geodesy, 
GIS (for transportation) and digital photogrammetry.  Applications 
are invited from exceptional candidates with EU status.  

Informal enquiries about these studentships should be made to either
Professor Geoff Blewitt; telephone +44 191 222 5040; email:
geoffrey,[email-masked]. or Professor David Parker (details
above). 

[Mailed From: Geoff Blewitt <[email-masked]>]