Subject: [IGSMAIL-181] GPS Global Network Advisory
From: Ulf J. Lindqwister/JPL
Date: 23 JAN 1993 12:21:28

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail       23-JAN-1993 12:21:28       Message Number 181
***********************************************************************

From:		Ulf J. Lindqwister/JPL
Subject:	GPS Global Network Advisory: Status of Quincy
-------------------------------------------------------------

Below follows a brief history and some new information about the GPS receiver
at Quincy. On September 6, 1992, Steve Di Nardo installed a TurboRogue GPS
receiver (ROGUE SNR-8000) at Quincy, CA, as part of the TOPEX/Poseidon
Verification Experiment under the direction of Ed Christensen (JPL).
The intention of the experiment was to provide verification measurements 
for the on-board altimeter. The life-time of the experiment have been
guaranteed until May 1, 1993. After this date, the receiver may continue
to operate or it may be taken down. Dr. Christensen have graciously
allowed us to use his data and distribute it to the IGS community for
as long as the receiver is present at the site.

The receiver was installed over monument 7221 with software V2.0 on the
6th of September.
On November 10, 1992, the software was upgraded to V2.5 and in addition
a Rubidium frequency standard was installed and connected to the receiver.
Version 2.5 fixed a number of problems involving receiver resets and
improved its capability to operate autonomously.
The height from the monument to the top of the choke ring is: 0.163 m.

NOTE: that the height from top to bottom of the choke ring is: 0.1016 cm
for TurboRogue choke rings (NOT 0.106 cm as was reported in IGS mail #160)

The TurboRogue at Quincy will receive a software upgrade to V2.6 in the
next 3-4 weeks (I'll warn you beforehand). This new version will correct
a slew of minor receiver bugs, including the Conan binary data format.

Currently the antenna at Quincy is sitting under ~3 feet of snow, according
to the station manager who measured it. It has been this way for all of
January and as far as we can tell, the receiver is tracking normally
(except that the SNR's appear to be somewhat lower than normal). We have
not taken a look at the estimated tropospheric delay for this site yet.
Perhaps GPS will find a use as a snow-depth meter as well........... 

Regards,

- Ulf

Ulf J. Lindqwister
GPS Networks & Operations Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Dr.
Pasadena, CA 91109

(818) 354 1734
(818) 393 4965, FAX
[email-masked]