Subject: [IGSMAIL-1750] Workshop
From: Geoff Blewitt
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 2:40:42 PST

IGS Electronic Mail      Sat Dec  6  2:40:42 PST 1997      Message Number 1750
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt
Subject: Workshop: GPS in the Middle East for Earth Science

**  Please respond if interested - contact information towards the end
*** Information updated on WEGENER news web page (thanks to Hans-Peter Plag)
***       http://wegener.gdiv.statkart.no/news.html
*************************************************************************** 
                Planning Workshop on

	GPS IN THE MIDDLE EAST FOR EARTH SCIENCE   

VENUE:	Henderson Hall, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

DATES:	Monday 23 - Thursday 26 March 1998
	(Wednesday - excursion)

TECHNICAL COMMITTEE (IAG Special Commission 6: WEGENER Project)  
	Geoff Blewitt and Ra'ed Kawar, University of Newcastle
	Rob Reilinger, MIT
	Hans-G. Kahle, ETH-Zurich

LOCAL ORGANIZER (British Council)
	Jan Butterfield

AIMS

The Global Positioning System (GPS) has proven to be a important tool in
Earth Science research, monitoring crustal movements with a precision of 1
mm per year. GPS is now being used in seismic areas to determine the
accumulation of crustal strain.  The aim of this workshop is to develop
plans for Earth Science research using GPS in the Middle East and adjacent
regions, to improve our understanding of plate tectonics and to assess
seismic hazard in this region.  A prime objective is to develop
international collaboration between Earth scientists, geodesists, and
experts in GPS technology, permanent stations, surveying operations, data
analysis, and terrestrial reference frames.  We especially welcome
collaborators from the Middle East.  The intended outcome of the workshop
will be to enhance existing proposals, and to identify new opportunities
for collaborative research.

SOME EXPECTED SPEAKERS AND CHAIRMEN:

Rob Reilinger, MIT, USA
Hans Kahle, ETH-Zurich, Switzerland
James Jackson, Cambridge, England
Yehuda Bock, SIO, USA
Vidal Ashkenazi, Nottingham, England
Abdullah ArRajehi, KACST, Saudi Arabia
Gero Michel, GFZ, Germany 
Mike Pearlman, Harvard-Smithsonian CFA, USA
Iaakov Karcz, Geological Survey of Israel
Hans-Peter Plag, Statens Kartwerk, Norway
Mohammed Shahbaz, Badia Project, Jordan
Kenneth Hurst, NASA JPL, USA
Shimon Wdowinski, Tel Aviv, Israel
Boudewijn Ambrosius, Delft, The Netherlands
Geoff Blewitt, Newcastle, England

VENUE

The workshop will take place in the Old Hall of the Henderson Hall 
complex, a Grade II listed building built in 1932 and recently refurbished. 
Facilities include a large wooden-panelled lecture hall, and a selection 
of seminar rooms adjacent to the lecture hall for splinter group meetings.
Nearby the Old Hall, the Henderson Hall complex provides a cafeteria and 
dining hall, comfortable common rooms, and lounge bar facilities.

It is situated in attractive grounds in a quiet residential area, 
approximately 3 miles north east of the city centre, and the main 
University campus.  It is adjacent to the University's sports grounds.

There are good local amenities within walking distance, and ample parking 
on site.  Public transportation or taxis can take you into the city centre.

Newcastle has its own international airport, approximately 20-30 minutes 
driving time from Henderson Hall.  Cars can be hired from the airport, 
and there are always taxis available.  Newcastle is also on the East 
Coast mainline railway.  The journey to London, approximately 300 miles 
south of Newcastle, usually takes 3 hours.

ACCOMMODATION AND REGISTRATION

Within the Old Hall there are 88 rooms with bathrooms and showers en 
suite.  A limited number of the larger rooms can be provided with two beds
upon request.  It is intended that registration be one price, and all 
inclusive (conference facilities, distributed materials, accommodation, 
breakfast, buffet lunch, dinner, coffee and tea breaks, tour) from 
Sunday afternoon to Friday morning (5 nights).  The fee has yet to be 
determined, but it is likely to be no more than 400 pounds sterling
(650 US Dollars). If we are successful in seeking sponsorship, the fee 
will be reduced.

It may be necessary to stay in a hotel if you will be accompanied by your
partner, as there may be insufficient double rooms available in the Old
Hall. Delegates may be provided with a list of hotels in the Jesmond area
of Newcastle, 10 to 15 minutes drive to Henderson Hall.  The fee for
delegates staying in one of these hotels might be higher, but again, will
be all inclusive. If there is sufficient demand, shuttle bus 
transportation will be arranged. 

CONTACT INFORMATION

For general inquiries about the workshop, including schedule, travel
arrangements, letters of invitation, accommodation, commercial
sponsorship, help in travel fund applications, or any aspect of local
organization, please contact: 

	Jan Butterfield			Tel. 44 191 281 4366
	British Council			Fax. 44 191 281 6919
	13 Windsor Terrace
	Newcastle upon Tyne             [email-masked]
        NE2 4HE            		
	ENGLAND

***  If you have not already done so, please contact Jan immediately if you 
wish to be on our mailing list for future announcements ***

For enquiries regarding the technical programme, suggested titles of 
presentations, or any suggestions to the technical committee,  please 
contact: 

	Geoff Blewitt			Tel. 44 191 222 5040
	Department of Geomatics		Fax. 44 191 222 8691
	University of Newcastle	
	Newcastle upon Tyne		[email-masked]
	NE1 7RU
	ENGLAND

*** If you have not already done so, please contact Geoff immediately if 
you would like to make a presentation or chair a session  ***
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Mailed From: Geoffrey Blewitt <[email-masked]>]