Subject: [IGSMAIL-174] Berne IGS Workshop
From: Gerhard Beutler
Date: 15 JAN 1993 09:25:22

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail       15-JAN-1993 09:25:22       Message Number 174
***********************************************************************

From:  Gerhard Beutler 
Subject: Berne IGS Workshop
---------------------------

RE : The Berne IGS Meeting

Dear Colleagues,

First of all :  Happy New Year (and I mean 1993) to everybody.  It
will be an important and hopefully a fruitful year for IGS.  As you
know and as announced several times through IGS-Mail there will be an
IGS workshop in March 1993 in Berne.  All the documents were prepared
in Berne in December, they were sent by overnight mail and faxed to
JPL on December 16, 1992.  Ruth Neilan re-formatted the cover letter,
and sent out the documents very early in January.  Since so far only
very few people got these documents, I include below

   (a) the original version of the cover letter
   (b) the tentative schedule for the Berne workshop

NOT included are the two registration forms (one for the workshop, one
for hotel accomodations) and the instructions for writing the papers.
The hotel accomodation form (deadline February 10, 1993) will have to
be sent directly to the Berne Tourist Office.  The special rates will
only be valid if these forms are used.  Should the official mail be
delayed beyond 20 January 1993 I will distribute e-mail versions of
the two registration forms too and make sure that the Berne Tourist
office will accept these modified forms too.

At first I intended to distribute the information below in the first
week of January. I decided not to do that after having seen slight
differences between the original documents and those sent out by Ruth.
In view of the delay I now believe it is better to distribute the
documents below to allow you to finalize your travel plans.

Excusing myself for any inconveniance caused by these delays, but
looking forward to see as many of you as possible in Berne, I remain
with kind regards

                                               Yours sincerely

                                               Gerhard Beutler
                                               Chairman,
                                               IGS Oversight Committee

**********************************************************************

                                                   17 December 1992/cg

Re: INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF GEODESY
    The 1993 Berne IGS Workshop :
    The International GPS Geodynamics Service, Campaign 1992
______________________________________________________________________

Dear Colleagues,

enclosed you find

 - the tentative schedule for the Bern IGS Workshop
 - the two registration forms ((1) for accomodations, (2) for the IGS
   workshop and the IGS Oversight Committee meeting)
 - instructions to prepare camera-ready manuscripts for the Volume
   entitled "The 1992 IGS Campaign and Epoch'92" (remarks below)

Let me remind you that your Hotel registration (using the registration
form enclosed) has to be sent directly to the Tourist Office of the
City of Berne (address and FAX number on the Hotel registration form)
until 10 February 1993 and that I need your announcement of
participation including the title for your presentation (if you intend
to present a paper) on the same date.

Based on the papers presented at the 1993 Berne Workshop we plan to
edit a Volume "The 1992 IGS Experiments :  The IGS Test Campaign and
Epoch'92" in our Institute Series "Mitteilungen der Satelliten -
Beobachtungsstation Zimmerwald" (editors Gerhard Beutler, Ivan I.
Mueller plus 1 collaborator AIUB).  The volume should be the official
document describing the 1992 IGS related activities.  It should
therefore cover all of the important aspects.

The tentative Table of Contents for this document should help
you preparing your paper(s) :

1. Development, Present Structure, and Future of IGS
2. The Networks (Core and Fiducial)
3. Data Formats, Data Flow, Data Management
4. Reference Frame Aspects
5. Analysis Centers Reports
5.1 Three months test campaign
5.2 Epoch'92
6. Comparisons (Orbits, Earth Rotation Parameters)

Should you be unable to attend the workshop we are ready to
incorporate your article into the Volume "The 1992 IGS Experiments :
..." provided it fits into the Table of Contents given above.

Deadline for the submission of the complete camera-ready manuscript
is March 26, 1993. This allows us to include the contributions to
the proposal to IAG for the IGS Routine Service. The maximum length
of the paper (including Figures, Tables, References) is 10 pages.

Looking forward to see you in Bern I remain with kind regards

                                               Yours sincerely

                                               Gerhard Beutler
                                               Chairman
                                               IGS Oversight Committee

**********************************************************************

The 1993 Berne IGS Workshop/Oversight Committee Meeting :
Tentative Schedule
_______________________________________________________

Date  : 24 March 1993 - 27 March 1993

Place : Institut fuer Exakte Wissenschaften
        Sidlerstrasse 5
        CH-3012 Bern

        Very close to the Berne Railway Station (3-5 minutes walk,
        depending on physical condition)

Tentative Schedule :
__________________

Wednesday, March 24 : Oversight Committee : Working Groups
                      ___________________

14:00-14:45 Plenary Session : Definition of Working Groups
15:00-19:00 Working Groups

Thursday, March 25 : IGS Workshop
                     ____________

08:30-12:30 The 1992 IGS Test Campaign : Part I
14:30-18:30 Epoch'92                   : Part I

19:30-23:30 Social Event

Friday  , March 26 : IGS Workshop
                     ____________

08:30-12:30 Epoch'92                   : Part II
14:30-18:30 The 1992 Campaign and the  : Part II
            IGS Pilot Service

Within each session there will be a 20 minutes coffee break.

Saturday, 27 March : Oversight Committee Meeting :
                     ___________________________

08:30-09:30 : Working Group Reports
10:00-12:00 : Discussion of Proposal for the IGS Service to IAG
14:00-16:00 : Discussion of Proposal for the IGS Service to IAG
              (if necessary)

The IERS Directing Board will be represented in Berne.  Meetings of
this Board and Joint Meetings IERS/IGS will be announced separately
later on.
**********************************************************************