Subject: [IGSMAIL-1739] '98 Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting Geodesy Special Sessions
From: C.K. Shum (via Ruth Neilan)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 9:20:49 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Dec  3  9:20:49 PST 1997      Message Number 1739
******************************************************************************

Author: C.K. Shum (via Ruth Neilan)
Subject: '98 Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting Geodesy Special Sessions

	WESTERN PACIFIC GEOPHYSICS MEETING GEODESY SPECIAL SESSIONS

        		     CALL FOR PAPERS

Dear Colleagues:

Please take note of an upcoming Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting
to be held July 21-24, 1998, in Taipei, Taiwan
(http://www.agu.org/meetings/wp98top.html).  There is quite
a large number of interesting sessions put together for the meeting
and we are enclosing the Geodesy session descriptiongs below
(also Joint Sessions with Tectonics, Ocean Science, and
Atmopshere Sections).  I apologize if you receive more than one copy
of this email.

Please note that the deadline for Abstract submission is March 23, 1998
(April 1, 1998, if abstracts are to be submitted using the AGU web page).

Best regards,

C.K. Shum, Ohio State Univ. ([email-masked])
Yi-Ben Tsai, National Central Univ., ([email-masked])
Shui-Beih Yu, Academia Sinica, Taiwan ([email-masked])
WPGM Geodesy Chairs

==1998 Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting Geodesy Special Sessions (12/1/97)==

G01.   Geodynamics of Central, East, South East Asia and Western Pacific:
       New Insights From Space Geodetic Techniques (Joint with T)

Convenors:
Chris Reigber, GeoForschungs Zentrum Potsdam, [email-masked];
Zongjin Ma, State Seismological Bureau, [email-masked],
tel: 011-86-1-62356421, fax: 011-86-1-62028617;
Teruyuki Kato, University of Tokyo, [email-masked];
Gero Michel, GeoForschungs Zentrum Potsdam, [email-masked]

The session aims to address geodynamics studies that employs space
geodetic techniques, e.g.  GPS, VLBI, SLR, PRARE, DORIS and D-INSAR,
and focuses on the current behavior of Asia as a result of  India's
collision with and penetration into Eurasia, the current crustal motion
and dynamics of E- and SE-Asia, and crustal deformation along the
plate boundaries in the Western Pacific.   Geodynamic studies relevant
to study objectives under the Asian Pacific Space Geodynamics Project
(APSG) are encouraged.  Papers are especially encouraged which cover
the topics including contemporay data analyses,
modeling, and interpretation that deal with the current
deformation of the Himalaya-Karakorum, Pamirs-Tienshan, evolution and
current behavior of the Tarim and adjacent areas, and ongoing motions
along major faults or fault systems, e.g. the Red River, Semangko,
Tan-Lu, or Philippine Faults, and plate boundaries in the Western Pacific.
The distinction between "long term
secular" motions of blocks, seismic (elastic) motions, and creep within
fault zones is both timely controversial scientific issues and a crucial
issue for the interpretation of data.  As a result, papers are
welcome that can contribute to a better
understanding of space-geodetically derived information on earthquake
deformation and/or include new data and results on current creep,
seismic coupling and others in the area.

G02.   GPS and Small Scale Deformation Monitoring

Convenors:
Chris Rizos, Univ. of New South Wales, [email-masked];
Jingnan Liu, Wuhan Technical Univ. of Surveying and Mapping,
tel: 011-86-27-78852922 x 2320, [email-masked];
Richard Coleman, Univ. of Tasmania, [email-masked];
Xiaoli Ding, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, [email-masked]

GPS has been used to measure large scale crustal motion since the mid
1980's.  The Asia-Pacific region is especially "rich" in active tectonic
plate margins which are increasingly being monitored by GPS.  In order to
understand the geodynamics of the region repeat GPS campaigns have been
mounted.  However, there are many other types of deformation that may be
monitored using GPS.  For example, ground subsidence due to fluid
extraction or underground mining, volcano flank deformation, tide gauge
stability, and the movement of engineering structures such as dams,
bridges, buildings and offshore structures.  These applications may require
GPS observation and processing strategies that are different from those
used for traditional large scale geodynamic studies.  At one extreme, the
techniques may be based on commercial off-the-shelf GPS systems, or they
may require the use of "scientific" GPS software.  The monitoring systems
may be GPS-only, or involve the integration of GPS and other technologies.
The systems may be deployed on a permanent basis, or for periodic surveys.
In this session, papers which describe the use of GPS for such deformation
monitoring applications are especially welcomed.

G03.  Sea Level Changes and Their Coastal Consequences (Joint with OS)

Convenors:
Phillip Woodworth, Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory,
[email-masked];
Cheinway Hwang, National Chiao Tung Univ., [email-masked];
Bill Mitchell, National Tidal Facility, [email-masked]

This session will be concerned with the measurement of relative and
absolute sea level changes by means of tide gauges and satellite radar
altimetry, in combination with measurements of vertical land movements
through the use of the Global Positioning System (GPS) and absolute
gravity.  Changes on time scales from hours and days (i.e. tides and storm
surges) through to interannual (e.g. El Nino) and century timescale (e.g.
climate change induced) will be discussed.  Particularly relevant will be
papers as to whether the region has adequate sea level networks for
its requirements (e.g. development of regional GLOSS activities), and papers
conducted under the Asian Pacific Space Geodynamics Project (ASPG)
on the monitoring and mitigation of  sea level change in the Western
Pacific and vicinities.
Insight into the mechanisms of sea level changes from geodynamic, ocean
circulation and climate models will be invited.  In addition, sea level
changes often have important consequences for people, industry and natural
environments at the coast.  Discussion will be invited on the regional space
and time scales of such impacts and possible mitigating strategies.

G04: Regional Geodetic Datum Realization, Maintainence, and their
     Compatibility with International Terrestrial Reference Frame

Convenors:
Baki Iz, Hong Kong Polytechnic Univ., [email-masked];
Junyong Chen, National Bureau of Surveying and Mapping,
[email-masked];
Peter Morgan, Univ. of Canberra, [email-masked]
Ming Yang, National Cheng Kung Univ., [email-masked];

With the advent of space geodetic technologies, primarily due to GPS,
and include SLR, VLBI satellite altimetry, and InSAR, it has become
imperative for regional datum to address their definition of datum
is compatible with existing global terrestrial reference frame definitions,
such as WGS84 and ITRF.  Traditional and regional datums may not
be geocentric and/or the level of accuracy of their realization in
the form of benchmarks is inadequate for modern applications.
At the global and regional scales, horizontal and vertical datum
realization is now indispensable for a multitude of Earth sciences.
Aside the scientific aspect, the rapidly changing infrastructure of
surveying and the use of space technologies in our daily lives revealed
problems to be addressed in replacing and maintaining the existing
datums at all scales.  In addition to the use of GPS and other
advancing space geodetic technologies, regional geoetic datums are
increasingly being improved with the aid of such services as the
International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) and the International GPS
Service for Geodynamics (IGS).  The former provides the establishment and
maintenance of ITRF.  We invite papers on both aspects, scientific and
practical, of regional datum realization, unification and maintenance.
Scientific papers on results for existing Projects such as the
Asia-Pacific Regional Geodetic Project (APRGP), Asian Pacific Space
Geodynamics Project, and others, are
particularly welcome.  Overall, we would happy to hear discussions on
a broad range of topics such as: is it time now to look into modeling
(kinematic or dynamic) the time-like variations of reference frames and
their impact on datum realization unification and maintenance?  What
happened to the Astronomical (Natural) Coordinates in the era of GPS?  How
to maintain a datum when the major ones (World Geodetic System, ITRF and
WGS84) keep changing?  How important datum unification is for the man on
the street?  Are we happy with seven parameter transformations, can we do
better with more parameters?  In particular, we invite papers discussing
datum problem specific to Western Pacific Region with emphasis on the
status-quo, its impact on geodynamic studies and the future plans.

G05.  Measuring Global Geodynamics and Mass Transports in Geophyscial
      Fluids: Their Implication On Regional And Global Climate Change

Convenors:
Ben Chao, Goddard Space Flight Center, [email-masked];
Houtze Hsu, Wuhan Institute of Geodesy and Geophysics,
tel: 011-86-27-6783962, [email-masked];
Byron Tapley, Univ. of Texas Center for Space Research, [email-masked];
Tonie vanDam, NOAA/GRDL, [email-masked];

Minute variations in the Earth's rotation and global gravitational field
have been measured with increased accuracies in recent years. The measurements
are made by means of space geodetic techniques including satellite laser
ranging, very-long-baseline interferometry, the Global Positioning System,
and satellite Doppler tracking.  By the beginning of the next Millennium,
dedicated gravity mapping satellite missions, such as CHAMP and GRACE,
will provide unprecedented accurate measurements of the Earth's static
gravity field and its time-varying gravity field components.  These
variations are caused by large-scale
mass transport and redistributions that occur in the "geophysical fluids" on
or within the Earth.  These geophysical phenomena include atmospheric and
hydrospheric circulations, tidal influences, continental hydrological
variations, post-glacial rebound, earthquakes, and fluid core activities.
This session solicits, but is not restricted to, papers dealing with
advanced measurement techniques, especially those relevant to GRACE
and CHAMP measurements, recent findings in space geodetic data analysis,
geophysical interpretations, contemporary static and time-varying
gravity field modeling, and modeling and
computations for the geophysical fluid mass transport.  Work relevant to
global geophysical observations, such as ocean altimetry, and that dealing
with dynamic couplings among the atmosphere-hydrosphere-solid Earth-core
system, and their implications on the Western Pacific region are especially
encouraged.

G06.  Oceanographic And Geophysical Applications of Satellite Altimetry
      (Joint with OS)

Convenors:
Lee Fu, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, [email-masked];
Shiro Imawaki, Kyushu University, [email-masked];
John Blaha, Naval Research Laboratory, [email-masked];
Pierre Bahurel, Service Hydrographique et Oceanographique de la
Marine/Centre Militaire d'Oceanographie, [email-masked]

The height of the sea surface of the global oceans has been observed by
satellite radar altimeters continuously since 1991.  This unique data
record, consisting of data from ERS-1, -2 and TOPEX/POSEIDON Missions,
has provided opportunities for studying a wide spectrum of scientific
problems, ranging from ocean circulation to marine plate tectonics.
By early 1998, U.S. Navy's GFO-1 mission is expected to
add to the list of operating spaceborne altimeters.
Papers from specific topics are solicited including planetary-scale
waves, El Nino processes, oceanic
boundary currents, coastal circulation, tides, surface waves, mean sea
level variations, marine gravity and geoid, bathymetric features,
lithospheric processes, etc.  Significant progress has also been made in
assimilation of altimetry data by numerical models for ocean circulation
and climate studies.  Results obtained from satellite altimetry in all
aspects of geophysics are solicited for this special session.  Satellite
altimetry is also on the verge of becoming an operational observational
system for navigational, climatic, and commercial applications.  This session
also invites paper to address the maturity of satellite altimetry as an
operational system, its current and potential applications, and its
relevance to the Western Pacific Region.

G07.  Atmospheric Limb Sounding with GPS/MET and Beyond (Joint with A)

Convenors:
Chris Rocken, UCAR, [email-masked];
Lou Lee, Taiwan National Space Program Office, [email-masked];
Cheng Huang, Shanghai Observatory, [email-masked];
Paul Tregonning, Australian National University, [email-masked]

The GPS/MET program was established in 1993 to demonstrate
active limb sounding of the Earth's atmosphere using the radio
occultation technique.  The mission has been quite successful and
GPS/MET data and products have been used by institutions
worldwide for neutral atmospheric and ionospheric studies.
Algorithms for data inversion have been developed independently by
several groups and result comparisons are now being conducted.
Techniques are under development to apply GPS/MET data to weather
prediction, climate studies, space weather monitoring, and geodetic
studies such as mapping of Earth's static and time-varying
gravity field.  As the GPS/MET proof-of-concept experiment is
coming to an end, the data set can also be valuable for the design
of those limb sounding missons that are planned to follow GPS/MET.
This session discusses GPS/MET data analysis
techniques, results, scientific application of GPS/MET data products
on a global scale and regionally such as the Western Pacific,
and planned future missions with emphasis on improvements
over GPS/MET.

G08.  Advances in Space Geodetic Technologies for Regional and Global
      Crustal Motion Studies

Convenors:  Pieter Visser, Delft Technical University,
[email-masked];
Chi-Ching Liu, Institute of Earth Science, [email-masked];
John Bosworth, Goddard Space Flight Center, [email-masked]
Ramesh Govind, Australian Surveying and Land Information Group,
rameshgovind@.auslig.gov.au

Latest achievements in determining crustal motions by space-geodetic
techniques, including SLR, DORIS, GPS, GLONASS, VLBI, and PRARE,
will be highlighted in this session, along with the necessary recent
improvement in precision orbit determination. This
session is intended to concentrate on two themes. The first
theme will focus on the determination of crustal motions in
general, and for the Pacific area in particular, using different
techniques, and on increases in the understanding of these motions.
The second theme will address the question of how to combine, validate,
and calibrate the different techniques in the studies of crustal motions,
and discuss the relevance of the different techniques in this
field, taking into account different spatial resolutions and time
scales.  Global and regional projects, such as the
APSG and the GEODYSSEA projects and its use of these techniques are
encouraged.  Also included is a forum for presentations of the latest
achievements in the field of orbit determination and to apply
these techniques to exploit recent advancement in space geodetic
techniques, including the following: precise orbit computation including
modeling techniques (analytical and numerical methods); new scientific
instrumentation for satellites including early results; requirements
and novel orbit determination techniques for future satellites and
proposed future gravity missions such as GOCE and
GRACE; models for the description of the nonconservative forces acting
on spacecraft such as LAGEOS I and II, TOPEX/Poseidon, ERS I and II,
SPOT, GFO, GFZ, and the GPS constellation or other geodetic
satellites; and other technical achievements.

G09. International Astronomical/Geophysical Services

Convenors:  Ivan Mueller, Ohio State Univ., [email-masked];
Shuhua Ye, Shanghai Observatory, [email-masked]

The purpose of this special session is to describe
Astronomical/Geodetic/Geophysical International Services, including
the following:
 	BIPM (International Bureau of Weights and Measures)
	ICET (International Centre of Earth Tides)
	IERS (International Earth Rotation Service)
	IGB (International Gravimetric Bureau)
	IGeS (International Geoid Service)
	IGS (International GPS Service for Geodynamics)
	PSMSL (Permanent Service for the Mean Sea Level)
Emphasis will be placed on the usefulness of these services and others
for the Western Pacific region and the vicinity.  A panel discussion
will attempt to establish the requirements for such services and others
for the region.  Most presentations for this session will be invited.

G10.  Tidal Modeling in the Marginal Seas of the Western Pacific (Joint
      with OS)

Convenors: Richard Ray, Goddard Space Flight Center, [email-masked];
Lance Bode, James Cook University, [email-masked];
Yaozhong Zhu, Wuhan Institute of Geodesy and Geophysics, [email-masked]

Significant advances have been achieved in the modeling of deep ocean tides,
primarily because of the precise TOPEX/POSEIDON satellite altimeter
measurements.  By comparison, tides over shelves and coastal
regions are still insufficiently determined, especially in the many
marginal seas along the western rim of the Pacific.
The presence of potentially large overtides and compound tides and the high
wavenumber complexity in these areas require sophisticated approaches.
Uncertain knowledge of bathymetry and the presence of small islands and
reef structures further complicates hydrodynamic modeling.
This special session solicits papers describing the current
state-of-the-art in tidal modeling and its
applications, including the effect of large tides
on the low-frequency circulation.
Papers are especially sought for coastal and shelf tide studies
in the regions surrounding Indonesia and Australia, the
Yellow Sea, and the China Seas.

============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
Director, IGS Central Bureau      FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail (IGS):      [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail (personal): [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109

World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/
============================================================================

[Mailed From: "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>]