Subject: [IGSMAIL-1725] EGS Symposium G4
From: Markus Rothacher
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 1:15:50 PST

IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Nov 17  1:15:50 PST 1997      Message Number 1725
******************************************************************************

Author: Markus Rothacher
Subject: EGS Symposium G4: Call for Abstracts

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the Symposium G4 

     "PRECISE SATELLITE ORBITS FOR GEOPHYSICAL APPLICATIONS" 

as a part of the XXIII General Assembly of the European Geophysical Society 
(EGS). This scientific meeting takes place in the week of April 20-24, 1998, 
at the Congress Center Acropolis in Nice, France.

The Symposium G4 focuses on the determination of high precision satellite 
orbits and the use of such orbits for geophysical applications. Results 
showing the importance of precise orbit information (from real-time orbits 
for meteorology to post-processed orbits for geodynamics, Earth orientation, 
gravity, altimetry, etc.) in any field of geodesy and geophysics are very 
welcome. We would like to encourage you to contribute to this session with 
your studies and results.
 
There will be three types of presentations: invited papers (30 min), 
contributed papers (15 min), and poster or video presentations (3-5 min oral).
Poster and video presentations are very much encouraged.

     DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ABSTRACTS IS DECEMBER 15, 1997.

More details on the submission of abstracts and on all other aspects of the
meeting (registration, housing, ...) may be found at the following
address:
 
     http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/EGS.html
     
     EGS Office                   Tel. ++ 49 / 5556 1440
     Max-Plank-Str. 13            Fax  ++ 49 / 5556 4709
     37191 Katlenburg-Lindau
     Germany

Because this message is distributed through several mailing systems, we
apologize if you receive more than one copy of this announcement.
Please forward this information to colleagues that may not have obtained
this e-mail.

Scope of Symposium G4: Precise Satellite Orbits for Geophysical Applications
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last few years more and more geophysical applications involve the 
processing of satellite data. In most cases the accurate knowledge of the 
satellite positions at any given epoch is essential for the determination of
the parameters of interest to the geophysicist. Let us just mention two
examples:  1) GPS users greatly benefit from the availability of
high-precision orbits distributed by the IGS to compute site coordinates, 
atmospheric information, etc. 2) The quality of the TOPEX/Poseidon orbit is 
of vital importance to improve the Earth's gravity fields, to monitor the 
geocenter, and to derive ocean tide models.

The symposium will focus on the computation of high-precision 
orbits for geophysical applications and their importance in geophysics.
We are looking for contributions studying the impact of the 
orbit models and orbit quality on the estimation of geophysical parameters 
like the geocenter, the gravity field, earth orientation parameters, 
site coordinates, and parameters describing the atmosphere. Papers that 
assess the quality of such high-precision orbits (e.g. by comparing orbits 
derived using different observation techniques) are welcome, too.

                            -------------------
               
We are looking forward to your participation in Nice.
 
Sincerely yours,

                          Markus Rothacher
                          Richard Eanes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
G4 Convener:

   Dr. Markus Rothacher                Tel   : ++ 41 / 31 631 85 91    
   Astronomical Institute              Fax   : ++ 41 / 31 631 38 69    
   University of Berne                 E-mail: [email-masked] 
   Sidlerstrasse 5
   CH-3012 Berne
   Switzerland
           
G4 Co-Convener:
           
   Dr. Richard Eanes                   Tel   : ++ 1 / 512 471 7560     
   Research Scientist                  Fax   : ++ 1 / 512 471 3570     
   Center for Space Research           E-mail: [email-masked]    
   University of Texas at Austin
   3925 West Braker Lane, Suite 200
   Austin, Texas, 78759-5321
   U.S.A.

[Mailed From: MARKUS ROTHACHER <[email-masked]>]