Subject: [IGSMAIL-1711] Threat to GPS spectrum
From: Stick Ware (via Ruth Neilan)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:31:29 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Oct 27 10:31:29 PST 1997      Message Number 1711
******************************************************************************

Author: Stick Ware (via Ruth Neilan)
Subject: Threat to GPS spectrum

Additional Information on the GPS Spectrum Issues:
------------------------------------------------------------

Trimble is posting an "Alert to Users--Threat to GPS Spectrum" on their
website.

Box on Trimble home will include the U.S. GPS Industry Council logo
with the words:

	User Alert: GPS Spectrum Threatened

Proposal Threatens GPS Spectrum; Risks to Public Safety

To All GPS Users:

A proposal to be decided at the imminent  World Radio Conference, (WRC
97, in Geneva, Switzerland, from Oct. 27-Nov. 21) threatens the safety
of life services now made possible by the Global Positioning System
(GPS) and the planned Global Navigation Satellite Service (GNSS).

In addition, its passage could jeopardize the ability of developing
nations to leapfrog infrastructure investment by using low-cost GPS
equipment for public safety applications.

Your help is urgently needed to convince  the World Radio Conference to
reject this proposal, agenda item 1.9.1, when it is considered during
the week of Nov. 10.

You can help  maintain the integrity of GPS by faxing a letter to the
head of your country's Ministry of Posts & Telecommunications and to
your ITU/WRC delegate. Voice your company's concern and request  that
your nation's WRC 97 delegate be instructed to vote against this
proposal. A follow-up phone call, if possible, will make your message
even stronger. Your support will help protect the exclusive
radionavigation frequency band for safety of life. This will be most
effective if done prior to Nov. 14.

Background

Simply put, the proposal would take a portion of the spectrum now
available for GPS and reallocate it to primary Mobile Satellite
Services (MSS) use. The plan is backed by Inmarsat interests in Europe
and was made without input from the international GPS/GNSS user
community. Your voice needs to be heard now.

If adopted, the proposal would:

Harm all regional radionavigation/radiopositioning interests by
squeezing the only allocated frequency band available for
radionavigation use.

Eliminate a portion of the only allocated frequency band
available for global radionavigation use.

Impinge on the portion of the spectrum (1575.42 MHz)  that is the
primary civil/military GPS frequency.

Thousands will be adversely affected, including:

OMEGA, Loran-C and VOR/DME system users. The Federal Navigation
Plan directs the imminent termination of these systems, which have been
used for decades by aviation, maritime and land users around the world.
These users will become increasingly dependent  on GPS and GNSS
signals, whose integrity will be compromised under the proposed plan.

The Military. The targeted frequency remains a vital strategic
and tactical military resource for the U.S. and its allies and should
be protected.

Developing Nations. They will be held back from employing the
benefits of this technology and will be forced to invest in more
expensive equipment to overcome interference from MSS.

A position paper and memo from the United States Global Positioning
System Industry Council provides more information on the substance of
the proposal.

If you do send a letter, please fax a copy to the U.S. GPS Industry
Council, attention Mike Swiek, executive director, at 202-862-3929.

With your assistance, this proposal can be defeated. Thanks for your
support.

Four related documents are being highlighted on the Trimble website
homepage as "hotlinks").

[Mailed From: Randolph Ware <[email-masked]> (by way of Ruth E. Neilan)]