Subject: [IGSMAIL-171] Rogue Update
From: Bob E. Schutz
Date: 13 JAN 1993 17:27:20

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail       13-JAN-1993 17:27:20       Message Number 171
***********************************************************************

From:     Bob E. Schutz
Subject:  Rogue Update
-----------------------

RFC-822-HEADERS:
X-Vmsmail-To: IGSMAIL

==================

TO:  IGS Steering Committee

Ulf Lindqwister (IGS Message Number 159) indicates that the IGS Steering
Committee has requested that all recievers be updated with the new firmware
at the same time.  I assume this was discussed at the San Francisco meeting,
which I could not attend.  The proposed date of February 8, 1993, poses
some significant problems for a campaign already scheduled in South America.  
Chartered airplanes etc have already been scheduled and it will be difficult
and expensive to reschedule.  I am concerned that a significant part of the
global network may be down for a sufficient period to have adverse
consequences on this campaign.  In my view, it is preferable that the stations
upgrade as soon as possible, and inform the IGS when they make the upgrade.
I would recommend changing the guideline to request that the upgrade be
made before February 8, and notification of when the upgrade was accomplished
be sent to Ulf Lindqwister, with a copy sent over IGS Mail.  As it is, the
guideline sent to the stations does not specify a time on Feb. 8 and depending
on the time required, some stations could be down for 15 min or 15 hrs.
It would be acceptable to request the stations make the upgrade over the
preceding weekend (Feb 6-7), which might be an AS period in any case.  There
is no way to assure simultaneity in the upgrade with the current guidelines,
and it would seem to me that the potential impact on a measurement campaign
should take precedence.

Bob Schutz