Subject: [IGSMAIL-1707] EGS-98 session G14 call for abstracts
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius (DEOS/DUT), Eric Calais (CNRS/UMR)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 3:48:15 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Oct 21  3:48:15 PDT 1997      Message Number 1707
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius (DEOS/DUT), Eric Calais (CNRS/UMR)
Subject: EGS-98 session G14 call for abstracts

Dear colleagues,

Hereby we would like to invite you to submit abstracts for session G14,
CONTRIBUTIONS OF PERMANENT GEODETIC NETWORKS TO EARTH SCIENCE IN EUROPE,
which we are organizing for the XXII General Assembly of the European
Geophysical Society (EGS) that will be held at the congress centre
Acropolis, Nice, France, from 20 to 24 April 1997. Although the focus of
this session is on Europe, we also encourage contributions from experts
with experience in permanent networks outside Europe (IGS, SCIGN, Japan,
etc.) to present their view on the problems of developing such networks and
the benefits for earth sciences. We feel that this is a very impotrant
issue and therefore we hope for a massive response.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING ABSTRACTS IS DECEMBER 15, 1997

Original abstracts, correctly formatted, or the corresponding ASCII, PS or
LaTex files should be mailed to the EGS office, Max-Planck-Str. 13, 37191
Katlenburg-Lindau, Germany or by e-mail to [email-masked], with copies
to the conveners. Posters with brief oral introductions during the oral
session(s) and extended presentations during the poster session(s) are
(strongly) encouraged.

Further information about the format of the abstracts, accomodation and the
other sessions in the scientific program can be found at the EGS WWW site:

          http://www.copernicus.org/EGS/EGS.html

You my receive multiple copies of this announcement because it is being
distributed via multipe e-mail list servers. We apologize for the
inconvenience.

For completeness the description of session G14 and the coordinates of the
conveners, as included in the scientific program, are attached below.

G14: CONTRIBUTION OF PERMANENT GEODETIC NETWORKS TO EARTH SCIENCE IN EUROPE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Permanent geodetic networks, in particular GPS networks, are developping
very fast in Europe, in response to an increasing need from the scientific
and civil user communities. Applications of such networks include measurements
of tectonic deformation and post-glacial rebound, monitoring of sea-level
changes, monitoring of atmospheric properties such as tropospheric water
vapor and ionospheric electron content, reference network for surveying 
applications, active differential stations, etc.

Several permanent GPS networks already exist in Norway, Sweden, Finland,
Germany, Italy, Greece, Belgium and the Netherlands, and a large number
of additional individual stations are scattered over the other countries,
including those in the former East Block. These networks partially overlap
with a relatively dense network of SLR and VLBI stations, which has 
gradually expanded over the last two decades. More recently also an absolute
gravity measurement capability has been established at some of these
stations.

The objective of this session is to bring together as many specialists in
the field of permanent geodetic networks, data analysis and interpretation
as possible, in order to obtain a complete overview of the development of
the permanent networks in Europe, to discuss 
the technical solutions adopted by the various groups, the scientific
objectives and practical applications addressed by these networks, and
their scientific impact in various fields of earth sciences. The emphasis
of this session will be on permanent GPS networks, but contributions 
about the other techniques, especially in combination with GPS are also
welcome. In particular, papers on the scientific interpretation of the
results are encouraged.

We would favorably consider the publication of the contributions presented 
at our symposium as self-contained articles in the EGS Proceedings Journal 
"Physics and Chemistry of the Earth".

Convener coordinates:
---------------------
Dr. Eric CALAIS			
CNRS - UMR Geosciences Azur	
250 Rue Albert Einstein	- 06560 Valbonne
France		
Tel (33) 4 93 95 43 28
Fax (33) 4 93 65 27 17
Email [email-masked]

Ir. Boudewijn AMBROSIUS
Delft Institute for Earth Oriented Space Research (DEOS)
Delft University of Technology (DUT)
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering
Kluyverweg 1, 2629 HS Delft,   
The Netherlands
Tel (31)-15-278-5173
Fax (31)-15-278-5322
Email [email-masked]

[Mailed From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>]