Subject: [IGSMAIL-1706] Academic positions at University of Newcastle upon Tyne
From: Geoff Blewitt
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:24:53 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Oct 17 15:24:53 PDT 1997      Message Number 1706
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt
Subject: Academic positions at University of Newcastle upon Tyne

Please find below the formal announcement for two lectureships being
offered at the University of Newcastle. I thought it might be of interest
to IGS participants, as one of the lectureships is in Geodesy.  For your
information, Newcastle is an IGS Associate Analysis Center, and examples
of current active research using GPS includes measuring volcanic
deformation on Mount Etna, modelling weather fronts, investigating global
plate tectonics, calibrating tide gauge records for ground movement to
infer change in absolute sea level, and permanent monitoring of sea-floor 
subsidence due to oil extraction in the North Sea.
  Note that informal enquiries should be made to the Head of Department, 
Dr David Parker (see information below).
----------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 Professor Geoff Blewitt                     [email-masked]
 Department of Geomatics             (international 44) (0)191 222 5040 
 University of Newcastle                      secretary    191 222 7607 
 Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU                       fax    191 222 8691 
 United Kingdom_______________http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~nsurv/staff/gb.html

UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

DEPARTMENT OF GEOMATICS

TEMPORARY LECTURESHIPS 
TWO POSTS

Applications are invited for two temporary Lectureships in the
Department of Geomatics, each for up to a period of two years
duration.

The first post is for a Lecturer in the subject area of Geographic
Information Science.  The successful candidate will take over the
teaching duties of Dr G Taylor, who has been awarded a Royal Society
Industrial Fellowship.  The successful candidate will be responsible
for the presentation of modules on topics in geographic information
science to students on the department's two undergraduate degrees. 
Module teaching material is prepared for presentation.  The successful
candidate will be expected to make a significant contribution to the
work of the Geographic Information Science Research Team.

The second post is for a Lecturer in the subject area of Geodesy. 
Candidates must be very active researchers in this area: expertise in
the applications of GPS would be particularly useful.  Teaching duties
will include the presentation of modules in geodesy to undergraduate
students from material already prepared.

Salary will be at an appropriate point on the Lecturer Grade A salary
scale: stlg16,045 - stlg21,016 pa, according to qualifications and
experience.

Informal enquiries about the posts should be made to Dr David Parker,
Department of Geomatics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU (telephone: +44 (0)191 222 6447), e-mail [email-masked]).

For further information on how to apply, please telephone +44 (0)191 
222 5429 (24 hour answerphone) quoting reference A44888 or write to:
Personnel Section, University of Newcastle, 1 Park Terrace, Newcastle
upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, England..

Closing date for applications: 28 October 1997
--------------------------------------------------------------

[Mailed From: Geoffrey Blewitt <[email-masked]>]