Subject: [IGSMAIL-1698] Station log summary file
From: Werner Gurtner
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 1:02:53 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Oct  9  1:02:53 PDT 1997      Message Number 1698
******************************************************************************

Author: Werner Gurtner
Subject: Station log summary file

Station Log Summary File
*******************************************************************************

The Central Bureau Information System contains now a summary file of all
site logs found in the /station/log subdirectory. The file is re-created
daily from the active log files.

The URL of the file is:

  ftp://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/igscb/station/general/logsum.txt

It lists some important informations found in the log files, like site code,
DOMES number, approximate coordinates, receiver and antenna types, antenna
height etc. It contains the currently valid values.

It's an ASCII file with fixed format fields and a line length of more than
180 characters.

Example (first few entries, left part of the table only):

 List of IGS Stations Extracted From Current Log Files
 *****************************************************

 Logfile  Site Name            Code DOMES #   Latitude  Longitude Anthgt Ref 
 -------- -------------------- ---- --------- --------- --------- ------ ----

 albh9708 Albert Head          ALBH 40129M003   48.3897  236.5125   .100 ARP 
 algo9706 Algonquin            ALGO 40104M002   45.9588   78.0714   .100 BPA 
 ankr9707 Ankara Sabit GPS Ist ANKR 20805M002   39.8875   32.7586   .060 ARP 
 aoa19705 Allen Osborne and As AOA1 40483S001   34.1574 -118.8303   .000 ARP 
 areq9705 Arequipa Laser Stati Areq 42202M005  -16.4655  -71.4927   .061 ARP 
 asc19705 Ascension Isla       ASC1             -7.9512  -14.4120   .068 ARP 
 auck9705 Auckland Base        AUCK 50209M001  -36.6028  174.8343   .002 ARP 
 azu19705 Azusa High School    AZU1             34.1260 -117.8964   .081 ARP 
 bahr9703 Bahrain GPS Station  BAHR 249010M02   26.2091   50.6081  3.122 ARP 

It can be used

- for easy cross-check with the RINEX file header contents, (e.g with the daily
summary file GPS1:[GPSDATA.yyddd]yyddd.STATUS at CDDIS.GSFC.NASA.GOV)

- for generating maps (if all log files contained coordinates!)

- for generating various site lists, etc

A first check revealed that

- 36 sites don't have a DOMES number assigned

  (ASC1,AZU1,CHUR,CICE,CLAR,CMP9,COCO,CSN1,DAM1,DAM2,DGAR,DHLG,DUBO,FLIN,GALA,
   HNPT,HOLP,HRAO,IISC,KWJ1,LEEP,MKEA,MOIN,NRC1,OAT2,RCM6,ROCK,SCH2,SELE,SNI1,
   SOL1,TABL,TORP,USNA,WHIT,XIAN)

- 25 site logs don't contain approximate coordinates (neither XYZ nor lat/lon
  which is a requested item in the new log file format)
   
  (BRMU,CAS1,COCO,DAV1,DRAO,DUBO,FLIN,GODE,GRAZ,HFLK,HOB2,IRKT,JOZE,KOSG,LAMA,
   MAC1,NYAL,ONSA,RCM6,SOL1,TAHI,TAIW,TROM,WES2,WUHN)

- at least 19 sites show substantial discrepancies between the antenna heights
  in the log files and the current RINEX headers
 
  (AOA1,CARR,CAT1,CIT1,CRO1,DGAR,FORT,GODE,HARV,JPLM,LBCH,MCM4,PIN1,SNI1,UCLP,
   USC1,VNDP,WUHN,XIAN)

If you would like to find other summary files, too, with different file contents
please contact me.

Werner Gurtner

[Mailed From: Werner Gurtner <[email-masked]>]