Subject: [IGSMAIL-1674] New station NTUS in Singapore
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius, Danny van Loon (DEOS/DUT), Tor Yam Khoon (NTUS)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 15:55:00 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Sat Aug 30 15:55:00 PDT 1997      Message Number 1674
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius, Danny van Loon (DEOS/DUT), Tor Yam Khoon (NTUS)
Subject: New station NTUS in Singapore

Dear colleagues,

On June 28, 1997, a new station has become operational in Singapore. It is
situated at the School of Civil and Structural Engineering of the Nanyang
Technological University in Singapore (NTUS). The station was established
under an agreement for cooperation between NTUS and the 'Delft Institute
for Earth Oriented Space Research' (DEOS) at 'Delft University of Technology'
(DUT) in the Netherlands. This agreement was conceived under the umbrella of
the 'GEODYnamics of South and South-East Asia' (GEODYSSEA) project,
sponsored by the European Union (EU), in which both institutes took part
together with many other institutes in several European and Asian countries.
We have decided to use the NTUS acronym as the 4-character ID of the 
station. For the time being, DEOS will act as the operational center for
this new station, expanding its international network which already
comprises the KOSG, WSRT, IRKT and MDVO stations. However, pending the
outcome of ongoing discussions, the 'Bundesambt fuer Kartografie und
Geodasie' (BKG) in Germany (formerly IfAG), will probably take over
the responsibility for this station later this year, which will allow
DEOS to move the receiver to yet another station in Bandung, Indonesia.

The antenna of the GPS system at NTUS is mounted on a steel mast of
about 1 m high, located on the roof of the building of the School of
Civil and Structural Engineering of NTUS. It consists of a strong and 
rigid 7 storyconcrete construction firmly anchored to and partially 
embedded in a range of low hills on the west side of the city of Singapore. 
The geographic location fills a large hole in the coverage of the global 
IGS network. The GPS system consists of an Allan Osborne TurboRogue 
SNR-8000 receiver (ser.no. 175) connected to a Dorne Margolin T chokering 
antenna (ser. no. 177). It is running from its internal clock and at the 
moment there are no plans to provide an external frequency source.

The approximate coordinates of the station are:

X = -1508023 m
Y =  6195577 m
Z =   148799 m

and the height of the antenna reference point (bottom of chokering)
above the geodetic marker on top of the mast is 77.6 mm. A station
log sheet with complete information will be submitted later today.

As of August 30, 1997 (DOY 242), the data will be submitted to the
European Regional Data Center at BKG (IfAG) in Germany, which will take
care of further distribution to the IGS community. Test data which have
been collected since June 28, 1997, will be available on request. Requests
should be sent to: [email-masked].

Last but not least I would like to thank Prof. Pan Tso-Chien, dr. Tor
Yam Khoon and dr. Cheong Hee Kiat from NTUS for all their efforts to 
enable the establishment of this new station in such a remarkably short
time. Less than 3 months elapsed between the initial contact and the
beginning of operations. I am sure the station will provide a valuable
contribution to the IGS and that it will be of great importance for
many kinds of GPS applications in Asia and for Singapore in particular. 

Boudewijn Ambrosius

[Mailed From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>]