Subject: [IGSMAIL-1649] Workshop
From: Geoff Blewitt
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 8:15:31 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Jul 22  8:15:31 PDT 1997      Message Number 1649
******************************************************************************

Author: Geoff Blewitt
Subject: Workshop

Subject: Newcastle Workshop on GPS in the Middle East
Reply to: [email-masked]

(with apologies in advance for any duplicate mailing lists)

PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

The Department of Geomatics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
will host a special workshop organised in collaboration with The
British Council and Special Commission 6 (WEGENER Project) of the
International Association of Geodesy.

TOPIC:	"GPS Geodetic Investigations and Infrastructure in the
Greater Middle East Region"

VENUE:	Henderson Hall, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon
Tyne, England

DATES:	Monday 23 - Thursday 26 March 1998

TECHNICAL COMMITTEE:  
 Geoff Blewitt, Hans-G. Kahle, Ra'ed S. Kawar, and Rob Reilinger 

SECRETARY:
 Deborah Nicholson

AIM:	To develop plans leading towards collaborative GPS geodetic
research and the development of GPS infrastructure in the Middle
East and adjacent regions 

WHO SHOULD ATTEND?

Anyone interested in the stated aim, who is seeking alliance with
other researchers and developers, including geodesists,
tectonophysicists, and those developing GPS infrastructure, from
universities, governmental organisations, and industry.  We
especially welcome potential collaborators from the Middle East,
and investigators associated with or interested in the WEGENER
Project. 

The workshop is intended to be small and focused, so we would
like attendance to be limited to 80 people.  It is therefore
advisable to notify the organisers as soon as possible, but
preferably before 31 August, as to your interest in attending
(see reply slip at bottom).  If you do respond, you will be
mailed a brochure with more details on registration,
accommodation, and the programme within the next few months.

SCIENTIFIC BACKGROUND

A fundamental objective of the WEGENER Project is to investigate
deformations along the African/Arabian/Eurasian plate boundary,
which requires extensive space geodetic measurements.  GPS
observations from [an] a permanent network spanning the Middle
East would allow investigators to determine the kinematics of
large tectonic structures (such as the Arabian plate and the
Sinai block), and would provide a regional reference frame to
support more densified surveys of specific plate boundary
features (such as the opening of the Red Sea and deformation
around the Dead Sea Transform).  

Extensive work has already taken place to the north of the
Arabian plate in Turkey and Greece, but more development is
needed on the Arabian plate itself (including Saudi Arabia,
Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates,
Qatar), and on neighboring territories (including Israel and the
Palestinian West Bank, Egypt, Cyprus, Lebanon, Sudan, Ethiopia,
Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, Iran, and the Commonwealth of
Independent States around the Caucasus and the Caspian Sea). 

AIMS AND OBJECTIVES

The aim of the workshop is to develop plans leading towards
collaborative GPS geodetic research and the development of GPS
infrastructure in the greater Middle East region.  Plans are
already being developed by several groups, so it is timely to
bring interested parties into alliance, with the following
objectives in mind:

- to enhance communication, cooperation, and collaboration
between geodesists, tectonophysicists, and those developing GPS
infrastructure, from universities, governmental organizations,
and industry

- to understand the objectives and approaches of the various
interested parties and to seek common ground.

- to identify where cooperation and collaboration can be of
mutual benefit.

- to discuss current plans and develop new plans for geodetic
investigations and infrastructure development in the Middle East.

- to coordinate plans to maximize scientific return, while
ensuring that the infrastructure also serves the objectives of
the operational organizations, industry, and national interests. 

- mutually, to provide help and advice to groups wishing to
develop proposals for geodetic investigations and infrastructure
development

The intended outcome of the workshop will be a more coordinated
plan for research and development in the Middle East, with areas
of cooperation and collaboration clearly identified, and with
resolutions supporting such cooperation agreed to by the
participants.

PROGRAMME

(Very preliminary; open to suggestions)
Sunday 22 March:   Evening ice-breaker buffet 

Monday 23 March: Welcome
 Workshop Overview
 Tectonic Background
 (Keynote speakers: Hans Kahle and Rob Reilinger)
   Infrastructure: Objectives, status, and plans 
 (all countries and organisations)

Tuesday 24 March:  Current and planned GPS investigations (all
investigators)
 Discussions on cooperation/coordination/collaboration:
 - GPS infrastructure 
 - GPS densification surveys
 - GPS data from permanent networks and campaigns

Wednesday 25 March: Trip organised by The British Council 

Thursday 26 March:  Discussions on
cooperation/coordination/collaboration:
 - GPS analysis
 - Tectonic interpretation                  
 Splinter Group Sessions
 Workshop Resolutions

PROCEEDINGS

(1) There are no plans to publish contributed papers, as we wish
the discussion to be as free, open, and speculative as possible. 
There is not intended to be any emphasis on completed work or
results.

(2) Delegates are invited to write a summary (no more than one
page) in advance of the workshop to summarize their interests,
outline any planned work, and tell what they hope to get out of
the workshop.  This is intended to help the process of finding
suitable collaborators and to help define splinter groups.  These
will be copied, bound, and distributed in advance to delegates in
the final mailing, in February 1998.  The deadline for these
descriptions is 5 January 1998.  Detailed instructions for
preparation will be distributed in November this year. 

(3) The technical organizers and chairpersons will prepare an
executive summary emphasizing the outcome the workshop, and
delegates may be requested to submit copies of viewgraphs or
other information to help them with this task.  It would
therefore be a great help if delegates bring at least one copy
(if not many) of viewgraphs or other relevant material.  A copy
of this summary will then be distributed to all delegates by July
1998.

(4) Any recommendations from the workshop will not be official in
the sense that they are endorsed by any offical body. Therefore,
to be effective, they should be worded so as to request action or
consent of appropriate official bodies (e.g., WEGENER, IAG, IGS,
or other scientific organizations, funding agencies, operational
agencies, and governmental agencies). Recommendations can be
drafted by any delegate, discussed in splinter group sessions at
the workshop, and then presented for final approval of the body
of delegates on the final day.  The final task of the workshop
will be to draft a list of official organizations to whom this
executive summary will be sent.  

VENUE

The workshop will take place in the Old Hall of the Henderson
Hall complex, a Grade II listed building built in 1932 and
recently refurbished.  Facilities include a large wooden-panelled
lecture hall and a selection of seminar rooms adjacent to the
lecture hall for splinter group meetings.  Near to the Old Hall,
the Henderson Hall complex provides a cafeteria and dining hall,
comfortable common rooms, and lounge bar facilities.

It is situated in attractive grounds in a quiet residential area,
approximately 3 miles north east of the city centre, and the main
University campus.  It is adjacent to the University's sports
grounds.

There are good local amenities within walking distance, and ample
parking on site.  Public transportation or taxis can take you
into the city centre.

Newcastle has its own international airport, approximately 20-30
minutes driving time from Henderson Hall.  Cars can be hired from
the airport, and there are always taxis available.  Newcastle is
also on the East Coast mainline railway.  The journey to London,
approximately 300 miles south of Newcastle, usually takes 3
hours.

ACCOMMODATION AND REGISTRATION

Within the Old Hall there are 88 rooms with bathrooms and showers
en suite.  A limited number of the larger rooms can be provided
with two beds upon request.  It is intended that registration be
one price, and all inclusive (conference facilities, distributed
materials, accommodation, breakfast, buffet lunch, dinner, coffee
and tea breaks, tour) from Sunday afternoon to Friday morning (5
nights).  The fee has yet to be determined, but it is likely to
be no more than 400 pounds sterling (650 US Dollars). If we are
successful in seeking sponsorship, the fee will be reduced.

It may be necessary to stay in a hotel if you will be accompanied
by your partner, as there may be insufficient double rooms
available in the Old Hall. Delegates may be provided with a list
of hotels in the Jesmond area of Newcastle, 10 to 15 minutes
drive to Henderson Hall.  The fee for delegates staying in one of
these hotels might be higher, but again, will be all inclusive.
If there is sufficient demand, shuttle bus transportation will be
arranged. 

There are no arrangements for pre-registration at the moment. 
However, please complete the following reply slip, and return it
by e-mail or fax as soon as possible, but before 31 August to be
sure of receiving the first official workshop circular.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
- REPLY SLIP	e-mail: 	[email-masked]

 or fax: 	44 191 222 8691

 or mail: 	Ms Deborah Nicholson
  Department of Geomatics
  University of Newcastle
  Newcastle upon Tyne
  NE1 7RU
  UNITED KINGDOM 

Please complete the following as best you can, even if you have
not yet decided whether to attend.  The information can always be
updated later.  For now it is more important to know who is at
least interested.

Your name:

Your address:

I would like to receive further announcements about the workshop
[YES/NO]

I am likely to attend [YES/NO]

If I do decide to attend, I would like to request a double room
[YES/NO]

I would like to present something [YES/NO]

If YES, please indicate the topic: ("Infrastructure in....", or
"geodetic investigation of....")

Please indicate if you are willing to chair a presentation
session, or lead a discussion.

Please attach any suggestions you might have.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

**************************************************

Miss Deborah Nicholson
Secretary to Head of Department
Department of Geomatics
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU

tel: +44 191 222 7607
fax: +44 191 222 8691

[Mailed From: "Deb Nicholson" <[email-masked]>]