Subject: [IGSMAIL-1591] FGCS/GIAC News Flash, Capstone Requirement
From: Ruth Neilan
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:18:37 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu May  1 15:18:37 PDT 1997      Message Number 1591
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan
Subject: FGCS/GIAC News Flash, Capstone Requirement

The following message is forwarded to IGSMail recipients at the request of
Captain Lapine.

FROM:  Lewis A. Lapine - [email-masked]

FGCS/GIAC News Flash -- Capstone Requirements

The U.S. Air Force has asked the Department of Transportation to seek civil
GPS user input into a "Capstone Requirements Document" (CRD).  The GPS
Interagency Advisory Council (GIAC) has been asked to participate on the
civil CRD Working Group.  The CRD is meant to determine the needs of the
users (domestic and international) of U.S. Positioning, Navigation, and
Timing (PNT) systems for the near, mid, and long term (5+, 10+, & 25 years).
Obviously, in this era of rapid technological evolution, it is difficult to
predict that far out, let your imagination wander when considering the long
range goals for PNT.  For PNT users that do see an unfulfilled requirement,
the CRD provides a mechanism for civil input to the planning and acquisition
system for PNT systems.  The CRD is not limited to the GPS and its
augmentations -- it seeks to define the needs of all potential PNT users.
Once the user needs are defined, a cost assessment will be performed to
determine what is economically feasible to meet the greatest number of user
requirements.  The follow on to the CRD will be an Acquisition Management
Plan (AMP).  The AMP is scheduled to follow behind the CRD by approximately
one month.

Now for the difficult requirement.  Civil input to the CRD is due on 15 May
1997, therefore, please provide your input to the GIAC no later than 9 May,
1997.  There will be subsequent meetings of the civil CRD Working Group with
a final draft deadline of 16 June 1997.  The  accelerated schedule is set by
other USAF requirements.  However short the deadline, this is an opportunity
to state your needs.

If you would like to provide input to the CRD, through the GIAC, I request
you answer the following three questions.  Please try to keep your responses
in the context of quantative performance (e.g. do not say you need better
accuracy, say you need 5-cm accuracy and why).

1) What is your main application for a PNT system?

2)  What are the short comings of GPS in your application?

3)  What improvements could be made to GPS or future PNT system that would
better support your application?

The  point of contact on my staff for this effort is:
CDR Dave Minkel, tel: 301-713-3169 x 141, email: [email-masked]

If you would like to communicate directly with the civil CRD Working Group,
Mr. Hank Skalski.  ([email-masked], 719-554-2570)

Note:  For domestic private sector and all international GPS users, the
CGSIC is represented at the Working Group and input may also be conveyed
through the appropriate CGSIC contacts.
Lewis A. Lapine
Captain, NOAA
Chair, GPS Interagency Advisory Council
email: [email-masked]

********************************************************************
CDR Dave Minkel, NOAA		Office:              301-713-3169
								      ext.141
NOAA, National Geodetic Survey     Fax:                 301-713-4315
1315 East-West Highway, Room 8609
Silver Spring MD 20910
ATTN: N/NGS                        Internet:   [email-masked]
********************************************************************

============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
Director, IGS Central Bureau      FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail (IGS):      [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail (personal): [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109

World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/
============================================================================

[Mailed From: "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>]