Subject: [IGSMAIL-159] Rogue SNR-8, SNR-800, and SNR-8C firmware upgrade
From: U. Lindqwister
Date: 5 JAN 1993 09:21:31

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail        5-JAN-1993 09:21:31       Message Number 159
***********************************************************************

FROM:    U. Lindqwister
SUBJECT: Rogue SNR-8, SNR-800, and SNR-8C firmware upgrade
----------------------------------------------------------

The new firmware for the Rogue receivers (excluding TurboRogues) is ready for
release. This version is labelled CONAN 4.2 (includes Meenix 7.3).
The new version will correct for cm-level, random scatter in the L2 observable
derived from cross-correlated phase (L1-L2), the data type available from
the Rogue when AS is turned on (there is no corresponding scatter in L2 while
tracking in the usual P-code mode). In addition, a random 1/2 cycle initial
offset in the same observable (cross-correlated L1-L2) have been corrected
as well. There are some remaining smaller biases present for AS data,
between the C/A and cross-correlated observables. The magnitudes and the
effects of these biases are currently under study and will be described
as soon as the information becomes available.

The GPS Rogue receiver comes in 4 basic versions, the 2 rack-mounted
receivers (SNR-8 and SNR-800), the smaller MiniRogue (SNR-8C), and the
portable TurboRogues (SNR-8000). JPL will provide the firmware for the
rack-mounted Rogues and AOA will do the same for the MiniRogues. The
TurboRogues do not need the upgrade.

The IGS steering committee have requested that all receivers be updated at the
same time. A simultaneous upgrade will reduce problems with combining data from
several stations when AS is turned on. The selected date is February 8, 1993.
The firmware for the SNR-8 and SNR-800's will be shipped from JPL this week
with a request to implement the upgrade on February 8, 1993.
We have also asked each investigator to report back the actual installation
date and any problems with the firmware. AOA have already sent out the
software upgrade to the IGS participants owning MiniRogues and some stations
have already been upgraded. The MiniRogues are currently located at
Yellowknife, St. Johns, Albert Head, Metsahovi, Kourou, Maspalomas, and
Herstmonceux. The new firmware have already been installed at the first three
sites as reported by M. Caissy, CGS. It would be helpful if the installation
dates of all the MiniRogues where reported to us (ujl@logos. jpl.nasa.gov)
so that we can keep track of the software versions in the GPS Global
Tracking Network. 

Regards,

Ulf J. Lindqwister
GPS Networks and Operations Group
JPL
MS: 238-700
Pasadena, CA 91109

(818) 354 1734
(818) 393 4965 (FAX)

[email-masked] (email)