Subject: [IGSMAIL-1544] AGU/EGS Union Sess/Sea leve
From: Jean Dickey
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:31:03 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Feb 20 14:31:03 PST 1997      Message Number 1544
******************************************************************************

Author: Jean Dickey
Subject: AGU/EGS Union Sess/Sea leve

AGU/EGS Union Sess/Sea level Session at the Spring AGU Meeting (May =
27-30); abstract deadline is 2/27.
________________________________________________________
U07=A0=A0=A0Sea Level Variations: Measurements, Interpretation and =
Societal Impact
(Joint with EGS) 
(A special jointly sponsored AGU-EGS session.) Sea-level variations have =
always raised the
interest and the concern of those living close to the coasts. However, =
attention from the global
community is growing with the detection of a global sea-level rise of the =
order of 1.0-to-2.5 mm/yr
measured over the last century; the linkage of sea-level rise to =
increasing global temperature and
anthropogenic changes to the Earth system are areas of high activity and =
priority. Climate models
suggest that global warming will continue with many impacts to society. =
The sources of global
sea-level rise are not well understood and probably arise from a =
combination of steric ocean effects
and mass redistribution from the continents to the ocean. Monitoring of =
sea level may prove to be an
important indicator of global warming, especially if an acceleration of =
the sea-level rise can be
detected. This session will be interdisciplinary in nature and should be =
of interest to
oceanographers, geodesists, glaciologists, geophysicists, geologists and =
those involved in natural
hazard research. A call for papers is extended in the broad range of =
areas: measurements of sea-level
rise, post-glacial rebound, the effect of tectonics and subsistence on =
sea-level rise, mass balance
studies (e.g., continental glaciers, Greenland and Antarctica) and =
emerging technologies. Global as
well as regional aspects will be included with both invited and =
contributed presentations.

Conveners: Prof. Suzanna Zerbini, University of Bologna, Dept. of Physics, =
Viale Berti Pichat
8, 40126 Bologna, Italy, Phone: 39-51-630-5019, Fax: 39-51-630-5058, =
E-mail:
[email-masked]; and Dr. Jean O. Dickey, JPL/Caltech, 4800 Oak =
Grove Dr., Phone:
818-354-3235, Fax: 818-393-6890, E-mail: [email-masked]
Union (U)
************************************
If you are submitting an abstract to a special session, you must also send =
a copy of your abstract to
the primary special session convener (first listed or marked with a *). =
Sending a copy of your
abstract to a convener, however, does not constitute sending it to AGU. =
Abstracts MUST be
received at AGU headquarters by February 27, 1997. 
************************************

[Mailed From: "Jean Dickey" <[email-masked]>]