Subject: [IGSMAIL-1489] IAMAS/IASPSO Symposium
From: R. NEILAN/JPL
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 12:00:12 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Dec  2 12:00:12 PST 1996      Message Number 1489
******************************************************************************

Author: R. NEILAN/JPL
Subject: IAMAS/IASPSO Symposium

SUBJECT: IAMAS/IASPSO Session Announcement

------>>>>>>>>  SYMPOSIUM ANNOUNCEMENT<<<<<<<<---------------

IAMAS/IASPSO Symposium CGM23

There will be a two day symposium entitled ' Atmospheric Research using
Space  Geodetic Techniques' at the Joint Assemblies of the International
Association  for Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences (IAMAS) and the
International  Association for Physical Sciences of the Ocean (IAPSO),
which will be held in  Melbourne, Australia 1-7 July 1997. This symposium
(CGM23) is being convened by  Bill Melbourne of JPL and Mike Bevis at the
University of Hawaii.

The symposium will cover three sub-themes:
(i) ground-based measurement of troposphericwater vapor
    using continuous GPS networks) and related geodetic techniques,
(ii) space-based GPS atmospheric profiling
     via occultation techniques using LEO satellites,
(iii) ground- and space-based measurements of the ionosphere.

Although the main measurement focus will be on GPS, it should include VLBI,
DORIS or other ground-based space geodetic techniques either as stand-alone
efforts, or in comparison with GPS.  Talks are also  encouraged on
modeling,  integration with other programs, etc.  The symposium will
discuss techniques for  deriving atmospheric variables from space
observations and their applications.   In particular, recent results will
be highlighted in which data from both  spaceborne & ground based GPS
receivers have played a prominent role.  Papers  will be presented on a
variety of topics, including, but will not be limited to,  water vapor
observations derived from GPS and VLBI networks and co-located  surface
meteorological instruments; results from GPS/MET for the study of  physical
processes in the stratosphere and troposphere, including the recovery  of
atmospheric temperature, pressure and water vapor profiles, tropopause fine
structure from enhanced vertical resolution techniques, and other
applications  in meteorology and climatology.  Papers involving results
from data assimilation  into atmospheric models and for the combination of
radio occultation  observations with conventional space and in situ
measurements for improved  numerical weather forecast and climate change
research are encouraged.  Also  encouraged are papers on mapping and
monitoring the ionosphere using ground and  spaceborne observations,
including GPS/MET, and in the general field of  ionospheric tomography.
Presentations on key or novel technologies and future  mission
opportunities for exploiting GPS in the general atmospheric science area
are also sought.

We would like to encourage you to present a talk at this symposium.

The deadline for abstracts has been recently been extended
from 2 December 1996 to 10 January 1997.

You can get information on the Conference via the world wide web - see
           http://www.dar.csiro.au/pub/events/assemblies/

or from Bill Melbourne (email: [email-masked]
or phone 818-354-5071, fax 818-393-6686). Bevis will be on travel until Dec
21, (e-mail: [email-masked]).

============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
IGS Central Bureau                FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail (IGS):      [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail (personal): [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109

World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/
============================================================================

[Mailed From: "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>]