Subject: [IGSMAIL-1423] GPS & Tide Gauge Monitoring Workshop
From: Ruth Neilan & Phil Woodworth
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 15:18:15 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Sun Sep  1 15:18:15 PDT 1996      Message Number 1423
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan & Phil Woodworth
Subject: GPS & Tide Gauge Monitoring Workshop

Dear colleagues,

This is the first notice of a workshop next year on March 17 & 18, 1997 titled:
GPS and Tide Gauge Benchmark Monitoring -- Methods for Monitoring Sea Level

This workshop will be held at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena,
California, and is being organized by the Central Bureau of the IGS and the
Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level (PSMSL).

The goal is to develop a methodology where GPS can be used to monitor the
motion of the tide gauge and the surrounding area to decouple ground
signals from the tide gauge record. This is to ensure that crustal motion
measurements are accounted for and are removed from the long term tide
gauge measurement record of the change in sea level.  Other aspects, such
as GPS for altimetry calibration and status of current activites will also
be included in the agenda. This will be a 'working' workshop to address the
issues and consider an approach to this multi-disciplinary problem.

The preliminary agenda is nearly prepared and will be circulated in the
very near future.   As space is limited, the workshop will be by invitation
-- if you are intersted in participating please let us know.

Sincerely,

Ruth Neilan and Phil Woodworth

===================================================================
Phil Woodworth
Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory, Bidston Observatory, Birkenhead,
Merseyside L43 7RA, U.K.   Tel: +44 - 151 - 653 8633  Fax: 653 6269
URL: http://www.nbi.ac.uk              Internet mail: [email-masked]
============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
IGS Central Bureau                FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail (IGS):      [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail (personal): [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109

World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/
============================================================================

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (Ruth E. Neilan)]