Subject: [IGSMAIL-1378] New JPL Data archive - compression
From: Keith F. Stark
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:20:22 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Jun 28 14:20:22 PDT 1996      Message Number 1378
******************************************************************************

Author: Keith F. Stark
Subject: New JPL Data archive - compression

    We have had several questions about different file extensions on the
new JPL archive. Most of the questions have centered around the presence of
files ending in .z (lower case). This file extension is for use with the
Gnu zip program, not the unix compress program. We will be continuing to
use the different file extensions so that we do not change the format from
the original data center that they were collected from. However, We highly
recommend acquiring the Gnu zip program, since it will be necessary for
several of the files, and since it is capable of uncompressing .z, .Z, and
.gz files. It is _not_ necessary to have different uncompress progams for
each type of file, Gnu zip will handle them all.

Regards,
Keith F. Stark

========================================================================
Keith F. Stark                     Telephone: (818) 354 5922
GPS Networks & Operations Group    FAX:       (818) 393 4965
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Email:     [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Dr.                 GPS info:  [email-masked]
Pasadena, CA 91109
========================================================================

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (Keith F. Stark)]