Subject: [IGSMAIL-1220] Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting, Australia
From: Ruth Neilan, Chris Rizos
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:52:54 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Feb 19 11:52:54 PST 1996      Message Number 1220
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan, Chris Rizos
Subject: Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting, Australia

Dear Colleagues,

This message announces the Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting (WPGM) in
Brisbane, Australia, July 23-27, 1996, and attached is an invitation and
meeting description from Prof. Chris Rizos. Please note that the IGS is
interested in supporting this meeting through participation and sees the
WPGM as a venue to promote regional GPS activities and strengthen
connections to the international infrastructure.

The deadline for abstracts is March 15, 1996. Complete information
(including special session descriptions for all sections, registration, and
housing information) can be found on AGU's WWW Homepage
(http://www.agu.org) and in the February 6 and 20 issues of Eos.

In addition, the IGS is planning on conducting an open, ad hoc splinter
session at the meeting to encourage dialog on GPS issues and activities,
and as a forum for communication.

For any other questions, contact Chris Rizos (address below), Peter Morgan
or Ramesh Govind, all session chairs for GPS related topics at the meeting.

Your participation is encouraged!

Sincerely,

Ruth Neilan
IGS Central Bureau

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WESTERN PACIFIC GEOPHYSICS MEETING

23-27 July, 1996
Brisbane, Australia

About the Meeting

At the invitation of its Regional Advisory Committee for Australia and New
Zealand, the American Geophysical Union (AGU) has decided to hold its 1996
Western Pacific Geophysical Meeting (WPGM) in Brisbane, Australia. This,
the fourth WPGM, is being held in the new Brisbane Convention Centre, a
modern state-of-the-art facility recently completed on the site of the
World Expo held in 1988. This meeting is expected to be the largest meeting
of geo-scientists held in Australia since the IUGG in Canberra in 1979.
Well over 1000 participants are expected, and all meeting arrangements are
being undertaken by AGU, with the assistance of the Local Organising
Committee.

July is mid-winter in Australia, but at latitude 27.5 S Brisbane is the
sunniest locale in Australia, and enjoys a sub-tropical climate. There will
be pre- and post-meeting excursions to popular destinations such as the
Great Barrier Reef.

Geodesy Program

This meeting is designed to serve the needs of geo-scientists working in,
or interested in, the Western Pacific area. In addition to many sessions on
specialised topics of the solid earth, atmospheric and ocean sciences there
will be a three day Geodesy program encompassing the following six topics:

(1)     High-Precision GPS and the Earth Sciences: GPS
geodesy and regional networks; GPS and atmospheric studies; GPS and
deformation monitoring; kinematic GPS advances; GPS instrumentation;
improvements in GPS observation modelling; the International GPS Service,
and its products, that support GPS investigations in the earth sciences.
Chairman: Assoc. Prof. Chris Rizos.

(2)     GPS Crustal Motion Studies in the Australasian Region: GPS
surveys and networks spanning two or more plate boundaries, from south of
New Zealand up through the complex zones surrounding Papua New Guinea and
Indonesia, to the Philippines.
Chairman: Assoc. Prof. Peter Morgan.

(3)     Geodesy in Antarctica: Geodetic methods (GPS, altimetry,
radar interferometry and precise gravimetry) to determine the past, present
and future mass balance and climate implications of the Antarctica ice
sheet; observations and results in geophysics, glaciology, oceanography and
meteorology of Antarctica.
Chairman: Assoc. Prof. Peter Morgan.

(4)     Colocation and Comparison of High Precision Geodetic Techniques:
Papers are solicited on a comparison of approaches, analysis methods and
results from colocation experiments between VLBI, SLR. GPS, DORIS, PRARE
and absolute gravimetry.
Chairman: Dr. Ramesh Govind.

(5)     National and Regional Geoids: Extension and measurement of
the gravity field into areas of difficult terrain (airborne gravimetry,
etc.); modelling of the gravity anomaly field for interpolation and
analysis; use of DEM's for prediction and computation of terrain
corrections; optimum geopotential models for the region; merging of
terrestrial and altimetrically-derived gravity data.
Chairman: Assoc. Prof. Bill Kearsley.

(6)     Ocean Dynamics Using Altimetry and Radar: Ocean dynamics at
mesoscale and large-scales from spaceborne sensors; combinations with other
data types; open ocean tides, wind effects, surface waves, and other
circulatory phenomena; results from TOPEX/POSEIDON and ERS-1.
Chairman: Assoc. Prof. Richard Coleman.

A full list of sessions has been published in the 19 September, 1995, and 5
December, 1995, issues of EOS (transactions of the AGU).

GPS Sessions

Attention is drawn to Topics (1) and (2), as these sessions will provide an
excellent forum for investigators to present papers on GPS applications in
the geo-sciences. Individuals are therefore encouraged to submit papers,
and to take advantage of this unique opportunity to gather with national
and international geodesists to review the latest developments in GPS
geodesy.

Topic (1) sessions are chaired by Chris Rizos, of the School of Geomatic
Engineering, the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (email:
[email-masked]), and co-chaired by Ruth Neilan, Director of the IGS
Central Bureau, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, USA
(email: [email-masked]).

Topic (2) sessions are chaired by Peter Morgan, of the Faculty of
Information Science & Engineering, the University of Canberra, Australia
(email: [email-masked]), and co-chaired by John Beavan, IGNS,
Lower Hutts, New Zealand (email:
[email-masked]).

Abstract and Other Information

The meeting will be organised according to the standard format of an AGU
Annual Meeting. There will be invited and contributed oral papers, each of
20 minutes duration. There may be poster sessions scheduled where required
and if necessary to cope with oversubscribed sessions.

Abstract information can be found in the "Call for Papers" and the "Final
Call for Papers" issues of EOS, dated 19 September and 5 December, 1995,
respectively. Electronic instructions for submission of abstracts can be
found on the AGU's World Wide Web homepage (http://www.agu.iog).

Note: Abstract submission deadline to the AGU is 15 March, 1996.

All abstracts will be considered at the Program Planning Committee Meeting
on the 16-17 April, 1996, where all session details will be finalised and a
full and final program will be produced. Accommodation, registration and
meeting summary information will then be published in early May, in EOS, as
well as being made available electronically via the AGU's WWW homepage.
Abstracts will also be published in an EOS Abstract Volume in May.

Chris Rizos

School of Geomatic Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney  NSW  2052, AUSTRALIA
Ph:  +61-2-3854205
Fx:   +61-2-3137493
Email:   [email-masked]

============================================================================
Ruth E. Neilan                    Telephone:   (818)-354-8330
IGS Central Bureau                FAX:         (818)-393-6686
Jet Propulsion Laboratory         E-mail:      [email-masked]
MS 238-540                        E-mail (personal): [email-masked]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109

World Wide Web:  http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/
============================================================================

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (Ruth E. Neilan)]