Subject: [IGSMAIL-1120] Call for abstracts, EGS-96 sessions G2 and G12/SE15
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius and Ron Noomen (Delft University)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 8:54:54 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Nov 20  8:54:54 PST 1995      Message Number 1120
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius and Ron Noomen (Delft University)
Subject: Call for abstracts, EGS-96 sessions G2 and G12/SE15

Dear colleague,

Hereby, we would like to remind you that the XXIst General Assembly of the
European Geophysical Society will be held in the city of The Hague in our
home country, the Netherlands. The meeting will take place from May 6 to
May 10, 1996. We have been asked to convene two of the sessions, G2 and
G12/SE15, and we would like to invite you to submit abstracts for either or
both of our sessions.

The deadline for abstracts is:            1 5   D E C E M B E R   1 9 9 5

Below, a brief description of topics of each session is given. They also
appeared in the September 1995 Newsletter (no. 56) of the EGS, which
contains all the relevant information about the meeting, including abstract
format, registration, deadlines and hotel reseravation. If you did not
receive this newsletter you may obtain this information via Internet and on
World Wide Web (WWW):

INTERNET:
Telnet LINAX1.MPAE.GWDG.DE (or 134.76.29.69)
Username/password = EGS96

WWW:
http:/www.mpae.gwdg.de/EGS/EGS.html

Abstracts for session G2, "Contributions from Geodesy to Interdisciplinairy
Sciences", should be sent to:

Ron Noomen
Delft University of Technology     Tel: +31-15-2785377
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering   Fax: +31-15-2783444
Kluyverweg 1,            E-mail: [email-masked]
2629 HS Delft
The Netherlands

Abstracts for session G12/SE15, "Inversion for Crustal Deformation using
Geodetic Data", should be sent to:

Boudewijn Ambrosius           
Delft University of Technology     Tel: +31-15-2785173
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering   Fax: +31-15-2783444
Kluyverweg 1,            E-mail: [email-masked]
2629 HS Delft
The Netherlands

Session summaries:

session: G2
title:   Contribution from geodesy to interdisciplinary studies

During the last decade of the twentieth century, geodesy sees turbulent
changes in almost all of its elements. Thanks to qualitative and
quantitative developments of the instruments and analysis tools being
used, and reaping from the wealth of information already gained during
the past decades, geodesy is providing answers to "classical" problems
like positioning, crustal deformation and earth orientation with
unprecedented accuracy and detail. In addition, radio-frequency
techniques in particular have opened up new study areas where geodesy
contributes significantly: tidal deformations, ionosphere, troposphere,
weather and climate. Contributions on the new fields mentioned here are
sollicited in particular for this session. Such contributions may be
obtained using ground-based equipment, e.g. by interpreting solutions for
ionospheric delays affecting signals to the ground, or by studying series
of daily or sub-daily solutions for vertical station positions.
Alternatively,information gathered with spaceborn receivers also can be
used for the study of topics that fall traditionally outside the scope of
geodesy (e.g. limb sounding).

session: G12/SE15
title:   Inversion for Crustal Deformation using Geodetic Data

Contemporary geodetic measurements, both spaceborn and terrestrial,
provide a wealth of information on phenomena taking place on the
surface of the Earth. Clear examples are deformations of the crust of the
Earth, both vertical and horizontal, and variations in the gravitational
signal on a particular location. Typically, these observations are
manifestations of geophysical processes taking place within the Earth
itself. Any analysis of geodetic observations is therefore not complete
without a discussion and/or an interpretation of the underlying processes.
Geoscientists and geodesists are invited to contribute to this session with
papers on the inversion of geodetic observations such as station velocity
fields into crustal deformation models. Technique descriptions, model
developments and interpretations are equally welcome.

Boudewijn Ambrosius and Ron Noomen

[Mailed From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>]