Subject: [IGSMAIL-1106] Two new southern hemisphere sites
From: John Beavan, IGNS
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 10:29:15 PST

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Nov  3 10:29:15 PST 1995      Message Number 1106
******************************************************************************

Author: John Beavan, IGNS
Subject: Two new southern hemisphere sites

New Southern Hemisphere IGS Sites (AUCK and CHAT)

Two new southern hemisphere sites have recently come on line, AUCK
near Auckland on the North Island of New Zealand, and CHAT on Chatham 
Island 600 km east of New Zealand.

The sites are the result of a joint project between the Institute
of Geological & Nuclear Sciences (IGNS) and the Department of
Survey and Land Information (DOSLI) in New Zealand, and the NASA Jet
Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) and the University NAVSTAR Consortium 
(UNAVCO) in the U.S.

CHAT is on the Pacific plate.  AUCK is on the Australian plate but
may be slightly affected by the AUS-PAC plate boundary zone.

The data are presently downloaded daily by IGNS 9 to 10 hours after 
UT midnight, and are transferred to JPL shortly afterwards.  

Both sites are collocated with automatic weather stations of the New 
Zealand MetService.

The antennas are mounted on reinforced concrete pillars and are 
screwed directly on to 15 cm diameter stainless steel plates set 
horizontally in the top of the pillar.  Shims are used between the 
antenna and the plate to ensure true north orientation.  Pillar 
height above ground is 1.3 m at AUCK, 0.7 m at CHAT.  The stainless 
steel plate is taken as the "ground mark".

Site information forms are on file with the IGS Central Bureau; basic
information is summarised below.

4-char code: AUCK
Site name  : Auckland Base
Location   : Whangaparaoa Army/Navy base, Whangaparaoa Peninsula
Latitude   :  36 deg  36' 10.2" S
Longitude  : 174 deg  50' 03.8" E
Height     : 132 m
Receiver   : Turborogue SNR-8000; firmware 3.2, field config. 8
Antenna    : Dorne Margolin T
Antenna ht.: 0.0018 m (vertical from mark to base of pre-amp)
Data start : 18 September 1995

4-char code: CHAT
Site name  : Chatham Island GPS
Location   : NZ Meteorological Station, Waitangi, Chatham Is.
Latitude   :  43 deg  57' 20.8" S
Longitude  : 183 deg  26' 03.0" E
Height     :  50 m
Receiver   : Turborogue SNR-8000; firmware 3.2, field config. 8
Antenna    : Dorne Margolin T
Antenna ht.: 0.0031 m (vertical from mark to base of pre-amp)
Data start : 4 October 1995

[Mailed From: [email-masked] (John Beavan)]