Subject: [IGSMAIL-1087] Changes at Mendeleevo (MDVO)
From: Boudewijn Ambrosius / DUT
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 9:44:12 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Wed Oct 11  9:44:12 PDT 1995      Message Number 1087
******************************************************************************

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius / DUT
Subject: Changes at Mendeleevo (MDVO)

This message is to announce some important changes that have taken 
place at the Mendeleevo (MDVO) station near Moscow since it started
operations in January of this year.

1. After 121 days of successful operation, the Trimble SSE stopped
   tracking on May 16 (day 136) due to damage to the antenna as a result
   of rain water leakage.

2. The repair of the antenna was used as an opportunity to upgrade the
   receiver with an external frequency input option. When the receiver
   was returned, the new option did not function, necessitating new
   repairs and causing more delays.

3. After repair, in June, the antenna was mounted at a new position, 
   (DOMES nr. 12309M002) a few meters away from the old point
   (DOMES nr 12309M001). Both points are on the roof of the 
   6 story office building of IMVP, but the old point was judged not
   stable enough. The new point is at the edge of the roof, anchored to
   the east wall of the building. The relative positions of the 2 points
   have been surveyed with GPS. The results will be distributed as soon
   as they have been verified.

4. Tracking and data distribution to IGS resumed on July 5 (day 186).
   Since that time the receiver has been connected to an H-maser!!!

Due to various reasons the distribution of this message has been
delayed considerably, which is regretable. However, it is felt that MDVO
is an excellent station, especially after the repair of the antenna and in
particular since the addition of the H-maser external frequency standard.
Therefore, all Analysis Centers are encouraged to include this station in
their analyses as well as its new sister station in Irkutsk (IGS message
nr. 1085). Both stations represent a significant expansion of the IGS
global network, and together with the stations in Kitab and Zvenigorod,
they also signal the start of a densification of IGS in the CIS, which is
expected to continue in the future.

An updated site description form will be sent to the IGS Central Bureau
soon.

Boudewijn Ambrosius

[Mailed From: Boudewijn Ambrosius <[email-masked]>]