Subject: [IGSMAIL-1010] Pilot Phase "Densification of IGS Network"
From: Gerhard Beutler
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 6:46:22 PDT

******************************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail      Mon Jul 17  6:46:22 PDT 1995      Message Number 1010
******************************************************************************

Author: Gerhard Beutler
Subject: Pilot Phase "Densification of IGS Network"

Subject: Pilot Phase "Densification of the IGS Network"

Dear Colleagues,

at the workshop

DENSIFICATION OF THE IERS TERRESTRIAL REFERENCE FRAME
       THROUGH REGIONAL GPS NETWORKS

held in December 1994 in Pasadena it was decided that the IGS should
organize a PILOT PHASE for this ambitious project with characteristics
specified below.

A draft version of the proceedings of this workshop is available now, the
official version will be distributed soon (Zumberge and Liu, 1995). The
four position papers in this volume contain the background information for
this IGS activity.

A lot of work was performed in this project since the December workshop
making it possible to publicly announce the official start of the Pilot
phase now.

Characteristics of the Pilot Phase of the IGS Project
DENSIFICATION OF THE IERS TERRESTRIAL REFERENCE FRAME
       THROUGH REGIONAL GPS NETWORKS
-----------------------------------------------------

Duration : One Calendar year, Start GPS Week 817 (3 September 1995).
--------

Responsibilities  :
----------------

           - The Analysis Center Coordinator, Jan Kouba (NR Can), is
             coordinating the activities to establish the working version
             of SINEX. He is also responsible for the coordination between
             the agencies listed below.

General Procedure :
-----------------

           - Initially, network solutions stemming from the IGS
             Analysis Centers (AC) will be delivered to the three Global
             Data Centers in the (agreed upon) version of SINEX on a weekly
             basis. The weekly free network solutions will be called
             SINEX-files below.

           - The SINEX files are analysed by the network analysis groups
             (called Associate Analysis Centers of Type-2 (AAC T-2)) below.
             The AAC T-2 will produce weekly reports about their work which
             include at least an analysis of the individual (initially
             seven) solution series, the combined network solution, and the
             statistics associated with it.  The combined solutions of
             the AAC T-2 will be made available in the SINEX Format, too.
             Reports will be available in the IGSREPORT-series.

           - Later on during the project a selected number of Associate
             Analysis Centers processing regional networks will be invited
             to join the project. This step should be taken as soon as the
             combination is running smoothly with the material of the seven
             analysis centers. Such associate analysis centers will be
             called "Associate Analysis Centers of Type-1 (AAC T-1)".

           - The ITRF section of the IERS will accompany the Pilot Phase of
             the project by analysing the SINEX products of the AAC T-1 and
             AAC T-2 on a monthly basis. A report will be delivered, too.

Agencies involved:
-----------------

           - AC Coordinator (contact: Jan Kouba, Natural Resources, Canada)

           - AAC T-1 : Code, EMR, ESA, GFZ, JPL, NGS, SIO
                       more AAC T-1 t.b.d. later on.

           - AAC T-2 : Based on a letter sent to all AC and the following
                       agencies announced their participation in the pilot
                       phase of the project (alphabetic order) :

                 - Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
                   (contact: J. Zumberge)
                 - Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO)
		   (contact: Y. Bock)
                 - Dept. of Surveying, University of Newcastle (UoN)
                   (contact: G. Blewitt)

           - ITRF Section of IERS (contact: C. Boucher)

Looking forward to an exciting and stimulating 1 Year Pilot Phase we remain
with kind regards

                                                 Yours sincerely

                                             G. Beutler, Chair IGS GB,
                                             R.E. Neilan, Director IGS CB,
                                             J. Kouba, IGS AC Coordinator.

-----------------------------
Zumberge, J.F., R. Liu (1995). "Densification of the IERS Terrestrial
Reference Frame through Regional GPS Networks." Available through the IGS
CB.

[Mailed From: Jan Kouba <[email-masked]>]