Subject: [IGSMAIL-84] IGS MAIL Messages and Index Available On-Line
From: Carey Noll and Tim Springer
Date: 2 SEP 1992 17:41:40

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail        2-SEP-1992 17:41:40       Message Number 84
***********************************************************************
 
From:     Carey Noll and Tim Springer
Subject:  IGS MAIL Messages and Index Available On-Line 
          in the CDDIS and AIUB
          ---------------------

     The CDDIS has recently extracted all IGS MAIL messages into individual
files for access to IGS users.  These files can be accessed using the CDDIS
IGS username and password and are located in the directory: 

    GPS3:[IGSMAIL]

At AIUB all IGS MAIL messages can be accessed using the ANONYMOUS FTP and are 
located in the directory:

    AFTP:[IGSMAIL]

Each mail is in a separate file of the form IGSMESS.###, e.g., IGSMESS.002 
contains all articles in IGS MAIL No 2.

     An index file is also available that lists the IGS MAIL number, date (in
the form DD-Mon-YY), author and institution, and title of the article. The
index is located in the file GPS3:[IGSMAIL]IGSMESS.INDEX (at AIUB in the file
AFTP:[IGSMAIL]IGSMESS.INDEX).  This index file can be used to find a particular
article of interest.  Each article is listed on a separate line in the index. 
Therefore, a user can utilize the VAX SEARCH command to extract from the index
file which mail message contained a particular article of interest. For
example, if a user wishes to know which IGS MAIL the message Bernard Minster 
wrote on Epoch '92, he would enter the following command while interactively 
connected to the CDDIS: 

    $ SEARCH IGSMESS.INDEX MINSTER 

This command will search the index file for all lines containing the string
MINSTER.  The following line would be returned: 

    50  24-Jul-92 SIO/Minster              Epoch'92 

Thus, article 50, in file IGSMESS.050, contains the message of interest.  The
user can also search on date (using the format DD-Mon-YY), IGS MAIL number, or 
any string in the title of the article.  The SEARCH command is not case
sensitive, unless the search string is enclosed in double quotes (""); special
characters (e.g., _, #, $, etc.) must also be enclosed in "".  The SEARCH
command will not work unless the user is interactively connected to the CDDIS
(i.e., through a SET HOST or TELNET). At AIUB one can not login interactively
so it is neccesary to GET the index file and make a SEARCH at the own local
VAX.

     Please contact one of us if you have any questions or problems with this 
new capability. We are also interested in any comments users have on this 
facility.