Subject: [IGSMAIL-15] Data Flow to the CDDIS
From: Carey Noll/CDDIS
Date: 11 JUN 1992 08:55:05

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail       11-JUN-1992 08:55:05       Message Number 15
***********************************************************************
 
==============================================================================
                   THIS FILE CONTAINS 2 MESSAGES
==============================================================================

From:    Carey Noll/CDDIS
Subject: Data Flow to the CDDIS
         ------------------------------

   I thought I would add my response to the flurry of e-mail about what sites
are coming from where.  Below is the list of sites from Peter's e-mail and the
corresponding CDDIS source. 

                             Peter's
Station                      E-mail       Where CDDIS gets it from
---------------------------  -----------  ------------------------
Canberra (Tidbinbilla)       JPL          JPL
Yaragadee                    JPL          JPL
Madrid                       JPL          JPL
Goldstone                    JPL          JPL
Tahiti                                    JPL
Hartebeestoeck                            JPL
Santiago                     JPL          JPL
Usuda                        JPL          JPL
Fairbanks                    JPL          JPL
McMurdo                      JPL          JPL
Pinyon Flat                  SIO          JPL
Los Palmas (MAS PALOMAS?)                 Not seen it yet
Matera                                    JPL and NGS
Kootwijk                                  DELFT
Ny Alesund                                JPL
Tromso                                    JPL and NGS
Onsala                                    JPL
Metsahovi                                 JPL and NGS
Wettzell                                  JPL and NGS
Herstmonceux                              JPL and NGS
Hobart                                    NGS
Wellington                                NGS
Townsville                                NGS
Kokee Park                                JPL
Yellowknife                               EMR and JPL
Penticton                                 EMR and JPL
Algonquin                                 EMR and JPL
Richmond                                  NGS
Fortaleza                                 Not seen it yet
Taipei (Taiwan/Tai Shi)                   NGS and JPL
Port Harcourt                             Not seen it yet
Tsukuba                                   Not seen it yet
Orroral                                   Not seen it yet
St Johns                                  JPL
PGGA, CA (Scripps)                        JPL

Others stations delivered to CDDIS:
-----------------------------------
Pasadena                                  JPL
Victoria                                  JPL
Prince Alberhead                          JPL

NGS and EMR have only delivered data to the CDDIS during the week of the IGS
test.  All data coming from JPL and Delft are PUT on the CDDIS on a daily basis.
Three of the sites delivered by both NGS and JPL come in with different names
(e.g., Wettzell is WETZ and WTZL, Matera is MATE and MATR, and Taiwan is TAIW
and T986) depending upon the data source.  This could cause problems in the
future and should be resolved somewhere I would think! 

    Also responding to Loic Daniel, I thought maybe I would give everyone some
general info on the CDDIS GPS data archiving efforts.  I have sent many folks
the info below on an individual basis.  Since I don't want to publish
passwords, if anyone needs access to this data who hasn't already got it,
please let me know and I will send on a password.  Right now our data holdings
are in RINEX and NON-COMPRESSED but tests have shown that the compressed data
will be ready for next week's data flow start (I think). Below are particulars
on retrieving data from CDDIS. 

    Username/Password:  IGS/(ask Carey)
    Access Supported:   Remote logins (e.g., SET HOST and TELNET) and remote 
                            file copies (e.g., COPY and FTP)
    Main Directories:   GPS1:[GPSDATA] and GPS2:[GPSDATA]
    Subdirectories:     .YYDDD.YYT or YYDDD.SUM where
                        YY is 2-digit year
                        DDD is 3-digit day of year
                        T is type of file (O for observation, N for navigation)
                         (e.g., GPS1:[GPSDATA.92055.92O] contains observation 
                            data for day 55 of 1992)
                       .SUM subdirectory contains CDDIS-generated observation
                            summary files

There is a general 000README.FIRST file on each disk that will list the current
contents of our data holdings; some of the data may not currently be available
on-line.  We can currently accomodate approximately two months worth of
uncompressed data on line at any one time.  As the disks fill up, the older
data will be taken off-line (but can still be requested).  I am interested in
any comments on these archives as well as transfer times. 

Regards,

Carey Noll.

==============================================================================

From:    Yehuda Bock
Subject: Preparation for IGS Campaign at SIO
         -----------------------------------

Introduction
------------
I will be leaving for field work in Indonesia on 13 June and will
not return until 24 July. In my absence, all messages to SIO
should be sent to the following individuals:

 Jeff Genrich: SIO General Coordinator [email-masked]
 Keith Stark: Data coordinator [email-masked]
 Peng Fang:  Analysis coordinator [email-masked]

We are trying to test out our system before I leave on Saturday.
We have run into the following problems and questions which I
would like to share with the IGS community, to aid in the overall
preparation.

First to answer Loic Daniel's question about SIO archive:

Accessing the Scripps (SIO) PGGA/GRANER archive
-----------------------------------------------

Acronyms:
PGGA : Permanent GPS Geodetic Array in southern California
(see SIO's PGGA & Global Tracking Data bulletin distributed thru IGSMAIL,
& to answer George Preiss' question -- Message No. 13)
GARNER : Global Archive to support Regional Networks, Ephemerides & Earth 
Rotation

Use anonymous ftp

address:      teddy.ucsd.edu (132.239.13.4)
Login:        anonymous
Password:     your name

This account puts you directly at the top of the geodesy archives on the
Epoch (IGPP mass storage device).  The global tracking data
are in directory "tracking".  The PGGA data are in directory "pgga".  The
tree structure then branches into year of data (eg 92data), followed
by format of data (raw rawrinex), followed by the site name.
For example, the Rinex data for 1992 day 150 at the JPL site is:
pgga/92data/rawrinex/jpl/jpl11501.92o

The archive is accessible 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and will contain
all IGS core site data for the entire campaign.

Note that all data stored in 1992 are in compressed UNIX format. If you
are working on a DOS or VAX system, we can send you the appropriate
decompression routines.

Precise GPS orbits can be found under "garner_orbits". These files are in
NGS Precise Ephemeris Format (Standard Product 1). These orbits will be on line
during the IGS campaign.

The only commands anonymous ftp permits are:   ls,   cd,  get,  mget
The -i option of ftp prevents ftp from querying on each get or mget.

We would appreciate your telling us your usage of this facility.
Mail these comments to [email-masked] and [email-masked]

Address questions to: [email-masked]

Site information
----------------

We would like to initiate the generation of a complete list of core sites with
the following information:
                                
(1) Type of receiver operating (e.g., Rogue is not sufficient, is it
 Rogue SNR-8, Mini-Rogue, Turbo-Rogue? -- Ashtech is not
 sufficient, is it Ashtech LXII or Ashtech P-12?, etc.)
(2) When was the receiver placed in operation (dates)?
(3) Software version running on receiver. If upgraded when was it
upgraded?
(4) Unambiguous height information (RINEX standard preferred, that
is direct vertical height to antenna base, usually preamp base)
(5) When will data be available from site? (according to instructions
all data should be at global data centers within three days of
last observation time - is this correct?).
(6) ITRF coordinates for each site
(7) Ties for each site to VLBI/SLR marks

I would ask all participants to cross check the information below, and please
advise on changes via IGSMAIL. In particular, George Preiss can you check
some of these details with Ruth in your meeting tomorrow?

SITE_NAME                   CODE  RECEIVER       Vers   Ant Hgt    Type
--------                    ----  --------       ----   -------    -----
JPL Mesa (PGGA), CA, USA    jpl1  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    0.0932     DHPAB
Pinyon 1 (PGGA), CA, USA    pin1  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    1.8435     DHPAB
Scripps 1 (PGGA), CA, USA   sio1  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    1.8458     DHPAB
Algonquin, Canada           algo  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.1140     DHPAB
Canberra DSN, Australia     ds42  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000 ??? DHPAB
Fairbanks, AK, USA          fair  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    0.1162     DHPAB
Goldstone DSN, California   ds10  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000     DHPAB
Hartebeesthoek, S. Africa   hart  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    ??????     DHPAB   
Herstmonceux, UK            hers  Mini-Rogue     ???    0.2005     DHPAB
Hobart (Tasmania) Australia tas1  MINIMAC 2816AT 1.64   0.0000     L1PHC
Kokee Park, HI, USA         kokr  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    0.0932     DHPAB
Kootwijk Obs., Netherlands  kosg  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.1050     DHPAB
Madrid DSN, Spain           ds60  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000     DHPAB
Matera, Italy               mate  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.2820 ??? DHPAB  
McMurdo, Antarctica         mcmu  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000 ??? DHPAB
Metsahovi, Finland          mets  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000 ??? DHPAB 
Mojave, CA, USA             moj1  MINIMAC 2816AT 1.64   0.0000     L1PHC
Ny Alesund, Norway          nall  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    1.8879     DHPAB
Onsala, Sweden              onsa  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    0.9850     DHPAB
Orroral, Australia          orro  ASHTECH P-12   ???    0.0000 ??? DHPAB 
Penticton, Canada           drao  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.1150     DHPAB
Richmond, FL, USA           ric1  MINIMAC 2816AT 1.64   0.0000     L1PHC
Santiago, Chile             sant  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0932     DHPAB
Tahiti                      pama  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000 ??? DHPAB
Tai-Shi, Taiwan             taiw  Mini-Rogue     ???    1.7750 ??? DHPAB
Townsville, Australia       town  TRIMBLE 4000SST4.11   0.0000     L1PHC
Tromso, Norway              trom  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    2.4734     DHPAB
Tsukuba-Kashima, Japan      tsu1  MINIMAC 2816AT 1.64   0.0000     L1PHC
Usuda, Japan                usud  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000     DHPAB
Wellington, New Zealand     well  TRIMBLE 4000SST4.11   0.0000     L1PHC
Westford, MA, USA           wes1  MINIMAC 2816AT 1.64   0.0000     L1PHC
Wettzell, Germany           wtz1  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.0000     DHPAB
Yarragadee, Australia       yar1  ROGUE SNR-8    7.0    0.0732     DHPAB
Yellowknife, Canada         yell  ROGUE SNR-8    ???    0.1110     DHPAB
Los Palmas (Canary Is.)     ????  ???????????    ???    ??????     ?????
St. Johns (our understanding is that it will this be an active station by
the start of the campaign)

We assume that these sites will not be operational (Is this correct?)
Fortaleza, Brazil           ????  ????               
Port Harcourt, Nigeria      ????  ????                                   

DHPAB Direct height to antenna preamp base (RINEX standard)
L1PHC L1 Phase Center

Reference to IGS Message #12 from Peter Morgan:
-----------------------------------------------

We're glad to hear that you are feeling better.

We have sent an Ashtech P-12 receiver to Australia with Paul Tregonning (UNSW).
The plan is to run the receiver at Darwin from the start of IGS campaign until
the end of Epoch '92. The receiver is scheduled to go to Cocos Is., next.

Question
--------

Where should the analysis centers deposit their IGS orbits? I understand to the
network centers. Is that JPL for SIO processing center? With what frequency?
We will be using NGS precise ephemeris format (Standard Product #1). Clyde Goad,
is this correct?

Naming convention for SIO products - Proposed
---------------------------------------------

Werner, please help us with this.

escyyaaa.bbb (Earth Rotation file)
pscyyaaa.bbb (Ephemeris file)

where:

sc -- Scripps
yy -- Year
aaa -- start day
bbb -- end day

Message to Ruth
---------------

The flow of data from McMurdo and Santiago sites has been very good, and
the version 7.0 release is a big improvement (except for raw data format).
Good work.
We have a solid block of data from about 30 sites, including PGGA. The 
Vandenberg site is now operational.