Subject: [IGSMAIL-014] Start of the IGS Data Transfer
From: Werner Gurtner, Gerhard Beutler
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1992 18:22:58 PDT

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail       10-JUN-1992 18:22:58       Message Number 14
***********************************************************************
 
From:    Werner Gurtner, Gerhard Beutler
Subject: Start of the IGS Data Transfer
         ------------------------------

Start of the IGS Data Transfer
------------------------------

Dear colleagues,

as announced in IGSMAIL #9 many people favour an early start of the routine 
IGS data transfer in order to have some time to sort out the first problems 
well before the actual IGS campaign.

We propose therefore to start the routine network operation next Monday,
June 15, 1992. That means that from this day onwards every node in the network
will have to either put its most recent daily datafiles one step up the
network, or make it available to be received by its upper level partner,
or get the data from the lower level network partners, according to the
bilateral agreements between the partners and according to the network
topology (the latter may be sorted out from the latest IGSMAILs).

All the permanently operating sites taking part in the IGS campaign
and being capable of RINEXing their data are therefore asked 
to put their daily files to their Regional Data Center or to make
them available to the Data Center according to the agreements. 
The Centers will forward the Global Core Data to one of the 3 
Global Data Centers.

If possible the RINEX ASCII files should be compressed before transmission.
Nodes receiving uncompressed data should compress it before
passing it on.

In Norway Statens Kartverk will act for a couple of weeks as a 
Network Center until IGN Paris will be up and running. 

IfAG still has some data rate problems. Recent tests suggest that the
best transmission time is between midnight and 4 o'clock UT.
Stations and Centers communicating with IfAG are requested to contact
Harald Friedhoff or Heinz Habrich to coordinate the data transmissions
(see also IGSMAIL #7).

The Processing Centers are asked to make arrangements with the Network
(or in some cases Regional) Data Centers to have access to the data,
see also previous IGSMAILs and NEWSLETTERS about this subject. They also
have to make sure that their products are sent to the Network Centers.

Regards and much success,

Gerhard Beutler, Werner Gurtner