Subject: [IGSMAIL-010] IGS'92 CAMPAIGN
From: IERS Central Bureau
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 10:48:21 PDT

***********************************************************************
IGS Electronic Mail        5-JUN-1992 10:48:21       Message Number 10
***********************************************************************
 
From:    IERS Central Bureau        <IERS@FRIAP51>     "Najat ESSAIFI"
Subject: IGS'92 CAMPAIGN
         ---------------

                                   IGS'92 CAMPAIGN

        Dear colleagues,

As agreed earlier, the IERS Central Bureau will collect the Earth orientation
information derived from the IGS'92 Campaign, and it will prepare special
bulletins to redistribute the results in a unified format.

You are invited to submit Earth orientation results to the Central Bureau of
IERS. Guidelines are enclosed in this mail.

        Thank you for your cooperation.

        Best regards . Najat ESSAIFI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING EARTH ORIENTATION RESULTS TO THE IERS CENTRAL BUREAU
                                   (First message)

The submission should include the following.
============================================

1 -first time : a description of the method of analysis. This should be made
available
as soon as possible, and will be reproduced in the first bulletin(s) we shall
distribute. More detail will be sent after discussions we are currently having
with the IGS Campaign task leaders.

2 - Every Friday: EOP results: coordinates of the terrestrial pole, and
universal time. Please use the mandatory format below.

                     FORMAT FOR TRANSMITTING SERIES OF EARTH ORIENTATION
                          PARAMETERS TO THE CENTRAL BUREAU OF IERS

Field           Contents (fields separated by one blank, see note 1)

  1             MJD of the measurement
  2             x of the pole (")
  3             y of the pole (")
  4             UT1-UTC (s)
  5             uncertainty on x (")
  6             uncertainty on y (")
  7             uncertainty on UT (s)
  8             rms residual of the least squares solution providing the EOP
  9             correlation coefficient : x, y
 10             correlation coefficient : x, UT1
 11             correlation coefficient : y, UT1
 12             number of contributing stations
 13             number of contributing satellites
 14             number of passes

Note :
         All the 14 fields MUST BE FILLED (with 0 in the case when
no information is available for a given field). The numbers of
decimals given in fields 2-8 should be such that the uncertainties
have at least two significant digits.

      These information  should be sent  by e-mail to IERS
      ===================================================

        - SPAN          :       IAPOBS::IERS

        - EARN/BITNET   :       IERS @FRIAP51

===============================================================================

                                   IGS'92 CAMPAIGN

                   DATA FLOW TO AND FROM THE IERS CENTRAL BUREAU
                 (Second message to the IGS'92 Processing Centres)

1 - INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED WITH THE EOP BY THE PROCESSING CENTRES

The information on the analysis scheme should cover the main aspects of
relevance to the reference frames and to the mutual independance of the
derived EOP (x, y, UT1-UTC). The a priori station coordinates should be given.
The description of the modelling should refer to the IERS Standards, the 1989
vintage or the draft 1992 one; in the latter case, state the version (December
1991, or April 1992). The description should be long enough to be really
informative, and short enough for compatibility with the handling and e-mail
distribution of it together with the similar information provided by the other
eight centres.

The derived EOP should be obtained from one day observations spans, centered
at 12:00 UTC (question: or 00:00 UTC?), to avoid interpolation problems in the
comparisons.

We reproduce hereafter part a the summary sheet used for the IERS Annual Report,
as a guide for information on the terrestrial reference frame treatment. Should
a new set of results be provided, it should be accompanied with the mention of
the corresponding information.

  1 - Analysis Center :

  2 - Solution identifier :

  3 - Software used :

  4 - Definition of the terrestrial frame:

                                       origin:

                                  orientation:

                              Reference epoch:

                              Relativity Scale:

                         Velocity of light (C):

Permanent tidal correction on station position:

 5 - Adjusted parameters:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposed format for station coordinates

(Field)     (Columns)            (Value)
    1            1                      X
    2            2-6            DOMES site number
    3            7              DOMES type of point (M or S)
    4          8-10             DOMES point number
    5         11-20             Alternate designation
    6         21-33             X, in metres, decimal point in column 30
    7         34-46             Y, in metres, decimal point in column 43
    8         47-59             Z, in metres, decimal point in column 56
    9         61-67             Central epoch of adjusted observations (MJD,
                                precision 0.1d, decimal point in column 66)
  10         69-75              Time span of ajusted observations (days,
                                precision 0.1d, decimal point in column 74)
  11         81-86              SIG X, in metres, decimal point in column 83
  12         88-93              SIG Y, in metres, decimal point in column 90
  13         95-100             SIG Z, in metres, decimal point in column 97
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 - BULLETINS ISSUED BY THE IERS CENTRAL BUREAU

Bulletins will be e-mailed approximately every two weeks by the IERS Central
Bureau. They will include information and results received before a stated
deadline. All data received will be stored in the IERS/CB database and will be
available on request (this is a rule in IERS). The IERS/CB mailing list will
include the IGS Processing Centres and task leaders, and the IERS Directing
Board and Analysis Centres. Further IGS distribution will be made by CODE
(Bern). A final bulletin, with comparisons, will be issued after the end of
the Campaign. The various deadlines are listed hereafter.

             Processing Centres                    IERS/Central Bureau
             ------------------                    -------------------
                        send before:                 mail bulletin on:
                         (Fridays)                     (Wednesdays)

   Information       As soon as possible              1992 June   26
     Results            1992 July    3                1992 July    8
     Results            1992 July   17                1992 July   22
     Results            1992 August  7                1992 August 12
     Results            1992 August 21                1992 August 26
     Results            1992 Septem  4                1992 Septem  9
     Results            1992 Septem 18                1992 Septem 23
     Results            1992 Octobr  9                1992 Octobr 14

                                               Final Bulletin in November 1992,
                                               taking into account everything
                                               received by 1992 October 31.