Subject: [IGSLEO-46] ICESat GPS
From: Bob E Schutz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:30:44 -0600

******************************************************************************
IGS LEO Mail      21 Jan 09:32:59 PST 2003      Message Number 46
******************************************************************************

Author: Bob Schutz

ICESat was launched on a Boeing Delta-II from Vandenberg on Monday 13 
January 2003 00:45 UTC. The Delta placed ICESat very precisely into the 
planned orbit with 94 degree inclination. ICESat carries the Geoscience 
Laser Altimeter System (GLAS), two JPL BlackJack (BJ) GPS receivers and a 
laser reflector array. On Friday 17 January, BJ#1 (and its antenna) were 
powered on and the first GPS data were recorded about 15:30. BJ#1 has 
performed as expected, tracking up to 9 satellites during normal 
operations. ICESat commissioning is underway by Ball Aerospace with a 
series of orbital maneuvers to place the satellite into the desired 
calibration orbit, an 8-day repeat ground track. Initial operation of GLAS 
is planned for early February. Availability of GPS RINEX data will be 
announced via IGSLEO. ICESat has been assigned the IGS designation L11. 
Processing of 17 hours of phase data collected January 18 has produced POD 
results at CSR that are judged to have an approximate accuracy of 10-cm 
radial. Much more analysis and some improvement is expected to take place 
as more data is accumulated. Nevertheless, this early result is very 
promising. SLR tracking will begin after the final orbit has been attained, 
but these activities are being coordinated with ILRS.

Bob Schutz
[email-masked]

http://icesat.gsfc.nasa.gov
http://www.csr.utexas.edu/glas/