Subject: [IGS-DCWG-9] Re: [IGS-DCWG-7] Resupplied data
From: [email-masked]
To: Carey Noll <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:24:42 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS-DCWG Mail      14 Jun 10:25:04 PDT 2003      Message Number 9
******************************************************************************

Author: Nacho Romero / ESA

Dear Carey, (and the entire DCWG!)

We are very concerned about the data redelivery issue.  Unfortunately
at some point during the day we must decide to send the 24 hr file (even if
incomplete).
It can happen that during that day the missing 1 hr files become available, and
then a
new 24hr file gets sent out.

This second file is not normally followed by an IGSMail because it is all
automatic for us.

We would like to see the CDDIS system check for updates and if the file upload
time has
changed the system should move the file to replace the previous file.  The other
IGS Data centres
can have mirror software to copy files that have changed.

The problem is with individual users. Since if I already got a copy of file for
station YYYY it is unlikely
I will go and fetch it again.  This could be resolved by an automatic email
system from the IGS to
specific accounts and each user could handle that as they see fit. (or  a
mailing list like this one)

The DCWG could agree on an email format and at ESA we would create an email
account to get
this email and react completely automatically to fetch the new file(s).

There are wrinkles to work out from my idea, I am sure, but I think it is very
necessary judging by the
number of IGS Mails dealing with reposted data, which I have never liked
crowding out important
IGSMail messages  :)))

Thanks and best regards to all,

Dr. Nacho Romero

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          Carey Noll             |
|        |          <[email-masked].|
|        |          gov>                   |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          [email-masked]|
|        |          l.nasa.gov             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          04/06/03 14:24         |
|        |          Please respond to Carey|
|        |          Noll                   |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                            |
  |       To:     [email-masked]                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                  |
  |       Subject:     [IGS-DCWG-7] Resupplied data                            |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

******************************************************************************
IGS-DCWG Mail      04 Jun 06:24:52 PDT 2003      Message Number 7
******************************************************************************

Author:  Carey Noll/CDDIS

Dear Colleagues,

   I have received several emails about how resubmitted data are handled.
I would like to get some ideas from the working group on how the IGS could
better handle re-posting of data sets.  I know that at the CDDIS, for
example, we get any resupplied data manually where messages are sent out
through IGSMail.  However, I also know that we often get a second version
of files automatically delivered to our incoming data areas.  Do any of
you have ideas as to how we can better handle re-posting of data to all data
centers?  Are any of you using mirroring s/w routinely and would
this help?  How about user community notification?  Should we set up a
website to automatically post information about resupplies or an email
notification list?  I am just throwing some ideas out here for discussion.
Perhaps I am worried about a problem that doesn't exist?

Regards,
Carey.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Ms. Carey Noll  Manager, Crustal Dynamics Data Information System (CDDIS)
                                           Secretary, ILRS Central Bureau
Code 922                                   E-mail:  [email-masked]
NASA GSFC                                           Voice: (301) 614-6542
Greenbelt, MD 20771                                   Fax: (301) 614-6099
USA                  WWW:  http://cddisa.gsfc.nasa.gov/cddis_welcome.html
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+