Subject: [IGS-DCWG-63] Re: [IGS-DCWG-62] Change in compression scheme
From: "Stowers, David A (3350)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Schmidt, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:51:32 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS-DCWG Mail      31 Mar 11:03:58 PDT 2010      Message Number 63
******************************************************************************

Author: Dave Stowers

Re vendor software, and other users...

Does anyone use say Trimble software to grab "CORS" data, and would
it recognize .bz2 files vs. .gz or .Z? (as an example)... or other automated
services (which would likely be simpler to fix if needed).

I'm assuming that Hatanaka compression is an important, but separate
discussion from switching to a different lossless compression type.

Current spec:
http://www.gsi.go.jp/common/000045517.pdf

ftp://terras.gsi.go.jp/software/RNXCMP_4.0.4/LICENSE.txt

RNXCMP SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 2007, 2009  Geographical Survey Institute  All rights reserved.

This is the license document of the RNXCMP software (Technical
Reports of the Geographical Survey Institute H1-No.6 "The RNXCMP
software for compression/restoration of RINEX observation files").
The RNXCMP software consists of the source codes, the executable binaries,
the scripts and batch files of the frontend tools, and the related documents.
Do not install, use, modify, or redistribute the software until you
have read and accepted all of the license terms. Installation, use,
modification, or redistribution, of this software implies acceptance
of all terms and conditions of this license.

1. Modification or alteration
  The source codes and related documents of the RNXCMP software may not
  be changed without the consent of Geographical Survey Institute.
  Anyone may, however, compile the source codes, or customize the
  frontend tools without the consent of Geographical Survey Institute.

2. Redistribution
  Redistributions of the RNXCMP software, in whole or in part, are made
  AS IS accompanied with this license document at no charge beyond the
  reasonable cost of materials and delivery.
  Where redistribution of the software, in whole or in part,
  is as part of a larger package or combined work, this restriction
  applies only to the cost of materials and delivery of the RNXCMP
  software, not to any other costs associated with the larger package
  or combined work.

3. Limited Warranty
  Geographical Survey Institute does not warrant or guarantee any
  representations regarding the use, or the results of use, of the
  RNXCMP software, in any (original, customized or compiled) form.
  In no event shall Geographical Survey Institute be liable for
  any direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages.

4. Copyright
  Geographical Survey Institute (1 Kitasato, Tsukuba, Ibaraki,
  305-0811 Japan) holds the copyright on the RNXCMP software, which is
  protected by the Copyright Law of Japan and related International laws.

-dave

On Mar 31, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Schmidt, Michael wrote:

> presumably their software handles the de-compression