Subject: [IGS-DCWG-45] Re: [IGS-DCWG-44] Position paper at IGS Workshop 2006
From: Dave Stowers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:28:27 -0700

******************************************************************************
IGS-DCWG Mail      18 May 09:28:28 PDT 2006      Message Number 45
******************************************************************************

Author: Dave Stowers

At the IGS Workshop in Darmstadt, the DCWG position paper was put
forward, essentially without significant public response. I heard third-
hand that there was some private discussion revolving around rsync, but
it did seem like a simple (lowest common denominator), slightly more
flexible solution might be worth discussing. I certainly appreciate the
effort that went into the position paper as motivator for discussion.

I understand that renaming files (suffices, etc...) is not particularly
desirable for some GDC's.

As a data provider, I'd like to be able to send a "primary" and "backup"
copy to whatever GDC's are on-line, not that I couldn't have my own
preferred list, but I'm not fond of the idea of having to keep a primary
and backup "receiver" list or xml table in sync with at least four other
facilities as well as in all of the site logs.

A possible change to the proposed plan would flip the designation of
"primary" and "backup" to be associated with the file and intent of the
sender, rather than with specific "receivers" of data. This could be
accomplished without having to "tag" files in any way if each
"receiver" (e.g., GDC) had two "in-buckets", one primary, one backup
(for each provider, if desired). Everything else would work as described
in the position paper (e.g., 5 min delay if no "primary" copy was
received before shotgunning to next level).

Please feel free to blast this suggestion to bits with useful criticism.

Best regards,

-dave

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 21:30 -0400, Carey Noll wrote:
> ******************************************************************************
> IGS-DCWG Mail      05 May 18:30:07 PDT 2006      Message Number 44
> ******************************************************************************
> 
> Author: Carey Noll/CDDIS
> 
> I would like to call your attention to the position paper for
> the Network and Data Center Issues session of next week's IGS
> Workshop 2006.  The paper can be viewed through the workshop
> Web site http://www.congrex.nl/06c27/, under Topics and Position
> Papers, session NWDC.  Angie Moore, Carine Bruyninx, Michael
> Scharber and I have put together some ideas on a new way of
> flowing data through the IGS data center hierarchy that should
> allow for a fully automated failover to backup data paths and
> handle data file revisions to ensure consistency between the
> data centers.  We welcome your comments on the paper and hope
> to see many of you next week in Darmstadt.
> 
> Regards,
> Carey.
> -----
> Ms. Carey Noll
> Manager, Crustal Dynamics Data Information System (CDDIS)
> Secretary, ILRS Central Bureau
> NASA GSFC
> Code 690.5
> Greenbelt, MD 20771
> USA
> 
> E-mail:  [email-masked]
> Voice: (301) 614-6542
> Fax: (301) 614-6099
> WWW:  http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov