Subject: [IGS-DCWG-15] Re: [IGS-DCWG-14] Re: Resupplied data
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:42:50 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGS-DCWG Mail      30 Jun 00:43:00 PDT 2003      Message Number 15
******************************************************************************

Author:   Ignacio Romero

I think the discussion is quite separate in terms of GDC comms and updates, push
versus pull, etc,  and the availability and AC notification (not just AC
actually but any user) of updated files available.  For the former I like the
idea of pushing the updated data but since ESA is not a GDC it is difficult to
have a strong opinion one way or the other.  On the latter I think that a
dedicated notification email list would work better than a file on the server to
identify updates.  The burden should in principle be on the entity publishing
the updated files to let it be known, via a standard mechanism (not the current
IGS Mail), but independent of the file being available as soon as possible on
the Data Servers.

So as I see it the updated file gets uploaded to a GDC and within minutes it is
made public for the world to see and the old one is discarded.  The GDCs should
all have the same file publicly available within TBD minutes.  The originator of
the file should make sure a notification is sent out to warn the users of the
new file, if several updates are unfortunately needed (uploaded) then maybe only
one notification gets sent.  If the update, for example, is the same file that
gets uploaded by mistake then no notification gets sent, but the GDC mirroring
still needs to happen I suppose.

The notification sent out to the users would have to be standard, so the email
server should generate a standard message that is machine readable based on a
simple email by the data "owner". The message would be similar to the current
IGSMail format :

To the update notification email list:
"
Author:    Ignacio Romero
Station:     NNOR
Hour:        HH (or blank for 24hr file)
Day:         DDD
Year:        YY
Reason:    original missing 2 hours
"

From the email notification list to the users on every update;
"
Please be informed that a new updated RINEX file is available for:

Station :   NNNN
Hour:       HH
Day:        DDD
Year:       YY

The reason for the update is: .....
"

 An open question for me is the flexibility to accommodate for the 15 minute 1Hz
files, what do you think? it would require adding a Minute field to the proposal
above.

Best Regards,

Dr. Nacho Romero

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Nacho Romero                                  [email-masked]
Aerospace Engineer, PhD.
GMV at ESOC/Navigation Support Office (TOS-GN)          http://nng.esoc.esa.de/
ESA, Robert-Bosch-Str. 5, 64293, Darmstadt, Germany
Tel. +49 6151 903497  Fax. +49 6151 902271              http://www.esa.int/
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc