Subject: [IGLOSMAIL-475] VIRUS ATTACK
From: George Preiss <[email-masked]>
To: "IGLOSMAIL Group":;
Cc: "IGLOSMAIL Group Copy":;
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:59:41 +0100

******************************************************************************
IGLOS Electronic Mail      04 Dec 01:58:42 PST 2001   Message Number 475
******************************************************************************

Author: George Preiss

Our University College has again been under virus attack, with the result 
that all sorts of old files from our personal hard disk have been linked 
apparently at random with addresses from our address book, and then 
transmitted. As far as we can see, this started to happen in the evening 
(UT) of last Friday, 30 November 2001.

We have carried out extensive anti-virus sweeps, and, as far as we are able 
to see, our own desk PC is now clean. Nevertheless, we advise that any 
e-mails from <<[email-masked]>> which have attachments, and are dated 
from 30 NOV 2001 to the present, should be treated with extreme caution. In 
particular, DO NOT open the attachments.

We are meanwhile relieved to report that the PC which is driving STATION 
GJOV, which is also connected necessarily to our internal network and which 
also operates under Wndows NT, has proved to be uninfested. Perhaps this 
might have something to do with the fact that this driving PC is never used 
for e-mailing purposes, and only moves files around by FTP!

We understand that this particular virus (BADTRANS.B) attacks via the 
OUTLOOK EXPRESS programs, and we are therefore in the process of moving 
over to EUDORA at this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience that we might have caused.

George Preiss

Assistant Professor

Geomatics Group
University College of Gjøvik
Post Box 191
NO-2802 Gjøvik
Norway
Tel:    +47-6113 5100
Direct: +47-6113 5283
Fax:    +47-6113 5320
E-Mail: [email-masked]