Subject: [IGLOSMAIL-1] International GLONASS Service Call for Participation
From: "Slater, James A. " <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:30:26 -0400

******************************************************************************
IGLOS Electronic Mail      25 May 15:31:41 PDT 2000   Message Number 1
******************************************************************************

Author: Jim Slater

Hello and welcome to the official start of the International GLONASS Service
Pilot Project (IGLOS-PP) sponsored by the International GPS Service (IGS).
The pilot project is designed as a more formal continuation of the IGEX-98
experiment that ended in 1999.  It is the result of recommendations made at
the IGEX-98 Workshop in September 1999 in Nashville, Tennessee.  This
message will announce the new mail service and the official Call for
Participation for the IGLOS-PP.

Information about the pilot project can be found on the IGS Central Bureau
web site at http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/projects/iglos/glonass.html.  A copy
of the Charter for the new pilot project is available at this site as well
as historical information about IGEX-98.

At this time, we are initiating a new mail service called IGLOSMail.  This
will replace IGEXMail, which has served us well up to now.  The new
IGLOSMail service is effective immediately and is supported by the IGS
Central Bureau at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.  All the
subscribers to the IGEXMail have been automatically transferred to the new
IGLOSMail subscriber list.  Please begin using the IGLOSMail today.  The
archives of the IGEXMail have been transferred to the IGS Central Bureau and
can be found on the IGS web site. To send a message to the IGLOS mailing
list, email it to:   [email-masked].  Please ensure the first
line of the body of your message starts with the string "Author: " followed
by the names of the author(s) of the message. Also, the Subject field of the
email should not be blank.  IGLOSMail will begin with message number 1.  (An
example is given at http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/faqs.html)

Approximately 25-30 tracking stations and three Analysis Centers have
continued to collect GLONASS data and to produce precise orbits on an
informal basis since the end of IGEX-98.  Currently, ten GLONASS satellites
are operational, although many of these are quite old.  A new launch of
three satellites has been mentioned by Russian authorities perhaps as early
as July, but one cannot be certain of these things until they occur.  There
seems to be sufficient interest in GLONASS as an augmentation to GPS for
scientific applications and for other developmental purposes to warrant
continued exploitation of the satellites as long as they remain viable.  The
pilot project committee will reassess the constellation status and the pilot
service at six-month intervals to confirm that there is still sufficient
benefit and interest in maintaining the operation.

The new Call for Participation in the International GLONASS Service Pilot
Project is given below.  A copy of the Call for Participation can also be
found at the IGS IGLOS-PP page of the web site noted earlier.  All
interested parties are invited to respond to this Call for Participation.
The document describes the project, its goals and objectives and
organization, lists the project committee members, defines the requirements
for participation as an observing station, data center or analysis center,
and provides instructions for sending in a proposal.  The deadline for
submission of proposals is 7 July 2000.  Note that there are some changes in
the requirements compared to those of the IGEX-98 campaign.

We are looking forward to this new phase of international cooperation in the
use of the GLONASS constellation and hope it continues to be a productive
endeavor for all involved. 

Jim Slater, Chair
IGLOS Pilot Project Committee

INTERNATIONAL GPS SERVICE
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
25 May 2000

INTERNATIONAL GLONASS SERVICE - PILOT PROJECT
2000-2003

Prepared by Pilot Project Committee

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.	IGLOS-PP: Description of the Pilot Project
1.1.	Background
1.2.	Goals and Objectives
1.3.	Organizational Aspects
1.4.	Project Committee
2.	Call for Participation
2.1.	Observing Stations
2.2.	Data Centers
2.3.	Analysis Centers
2.4.	Associate Analysis Centers
3.	Instructions for Submitting Proposals
4.	Proposal Form

1.  IGLOS-PP: Description of the Pilot Project

The International GLONASS Service - Pilot Project (IGLOS-PP) is a pilot
service of the International GPS Service (IGS) to track and analyze data
from the Russian GLONASS satellite constellation.  The primary products of
the service are dual-frequency observations from the global tracking network
and precise orbits computed for each satellite.  These are made available to
support and encourage other applications and studies.  In particular, the
products from the Service facilitate the use of combined GLONASS and GPS
observations for scientific and engineering applications, and allow users to
experiment with the combined systems as a prototype Global Navigation
Satellite System.  The pilot service will operate for a period of up to four
years, from 2000-2003.

1.2.  Goals and Objectives

The goals and objectives of the IGLOS Pilot Service are as follows:

     1.  Establish and maintain a global GLONASS tracking network
		a.	Collocate dual-frequency, combined GPS/GLONASS
receivers with dual-frequency GPS receivers or upgrade existing
dual-frequency GPS receivers to dual-frequency, combined GPS/GLONASS
receivers at existing IGS sites and at new sites
b.  Apply International GPS Service (IGS) network operations standards
c.  Calibrate and evaluate combined GPS/GLONASS receivers and antennas

     2.  Produce precise (10-cm level) orbits, satellite clock estimates,
and station
      coordinates 
a.  Evaluate microwave-derived orbits using SLR observations and orbits
b.  Incorporate SLR observations in routine orbit processing
c.  Obtain initial operational capability of 20-50 cm orbits at Analysis
Centers 
		d.  Receive independent orbit/clock/station solutions from
Analysis Centers within
		     three weeks of observations

     3.  Monitor and assess GLONASS system performance

     4.  Investigate the use of GLONASS to improve Earth Orientation
Parameters

     5.  Improve atmospheric products of the IGS

     6.  Fully integrate GLONASS into IGS products, operations and programs.

1.3.  Organizational Aspects

The Pilot Service will utilize the existing infrastructure of the IGS as
much as possible without disrupting activities supporting GPS data
collection and processing.  It will take advantage of the operational
experience gained from the International GLONASS Experiment (IGEX-98)
carried out in 1998-99.  The Call for Participation is being issued to
officially enlist the participation of current IGS network stations,
analysis centers, and data centers, as well as to solicit the participation
of new stations, analysis centers, and data centers.  The IGS Central Bureau
will take responsibility for including the pilot service within the IGS
operations.  The pilot service will include SLR stations, GLONASS stations,
and combined GPS/GLONASS stations that meet IGS network requirements and
additional GLONASS-specific requirements. 

1.4.   Project Committee

An IGLOS Pilot Project Committee is responsible for establishing and
managing the service during the pilot period.  The members are:

Vladimir Glotov, Mission Control Centre, Russian Space Agency
Ramesh Govind, Australian Surveying and Land Information Group
Werner Gurtner, University of Berne, Astronomical Institute, ILRS Liaison
Arne Jungstand, EC Joint Research Centre, Space Applications Institute, and
DLR
Angelyn Moore, IGS Central Bureau
Ruth Neilan, IGS Central Bureau, Director (ex officio)
Carey Noll, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Data Center Coordinator
James Slater, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Chair
Tim Springer, University of Berne, IGS Analysis Center Coordinator (ex
officio)
Robert Weber, University of Technology, Vienna, GLONASS Analysis Center
Coordinator
Pascal Willis, Institut Geographique National.

The IGLOS Pilot Project Committee will review and approve proposals for
establishment of new stations, analysis centers, and data centers, taking
appropriate actions as necessary.  The description and responsibilities of
these fundamental IGS components are located in the IGS Terms of Reference
at <<http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/organization/bylaws.html>>.  Technical
specifications for stations, analysis centers and data centers are included
in this Call for Participation.  The Committee will develop operational
guidelines for incorporating the GLONASS operations into the IGS.  Liaisons
are maintained with the International Laser Ranging Service, the
International Association of Geodesy, and the GLONASS Coordination
Scientific Information Center of the Russian Federation Ministry of Defense
as appropriate. 

2.  Call for Participation

The IGLOS Pilot Project Committee is seeking participants in the
International GLONASS Service Pilot Project in the following categories:

     - IGLOS Observing Stations

     - IGLOS Data Centers

     - IGLOS Analysis Centers

     - IGLOS Associate Analysis Centers
 
2.1.  IGLOS Observing Stations

This call goes to individual stations willing to operate combined
GPS/GLONASS receivers and to "Operational Centers" currently in charge and
control of several IGS stations as part of a special-purpose or local
permanent GPS or GLONASS network.

2.1.1.   Receivers

Only geodetic-type receivers (capable of collecting pseudorange and carrier
phase observations) may be used in IGLOS. Receivers must be able to track at
least four GPS and four GLONASS satellites simultaneously.

Receivers should be able to track the satellites of both systems on both
frequencies. For special purposes, as for example, time transfer
experiments, receivers with lower performance might be proposed, too.

One of the goals of IGLOS is the total incorporation of the high-end
dual-system receivers into the IGS network. Such GPS/GLONASS receivers
should either be collocated on IGS sites (with the expectation of eventually
replacing the GPS receiver) or on sites complementing the existing IGS
network.

The local ties between the antennae of existing IGS receivers, ILRS systems
and the collocated dual-system receivers should be known with an accuracy of
about 1 mm (in ITRF).

A GPS/GLONASS Site Information Report must be submitted to the IGS Central
Bureau prior to the start of the pilot project (available at the IGS Central
Bureau Information System (see
ftp://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/igscb/resource/blank.log).

If the dual-system receiver is driven by an accurate external clock
(rubidium, cesium or hydrogen standard), this information should be included
in the proposal and the site log.

2.1.2.  Operational considerations

The sites participating in the IGLOS Pilot Project will have to observe the
same guidelines and rules as the official IGS sites. Guidelines and
checklists can be found at
http:/igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/network/guide_igs.html and
http:/igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/network/join_igs.html.

Observing stations are requested to forward their data to an IGS data center
within 2 hours from the end of the UT day on which the data were collected.
Currently, many sites of the IGS and other permanent networks are upgrading
their data submission procedures to enable hourly uploads.  We encourage
IGLOS stations to use hourly data collection and upload, if possible.

The exchange file format is the RINEX format (see ftp://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/
igscb/data/format/rinex210.txt).

The following naming conventions will be followed:

A 4-character acronym for each receiver operated as part of the pilot
service should be proposed to and approved by the IGS Central Bureau
([email-masked]).

For each marker, a DOMES number (a globally unambiguous marker number used
by
ITRF) has to be requested from the ITRF Section of the IERS Central Bureau
(see
http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/ITRF/domesreq.html, e-mail contact:
[email-masked]).

The following file naming convention will be observed (see also
recommendation in the RINEX 2.10 documentation
ftp://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/igscb/data/format/rinex210.txt):

------------------Compressed File--------------------
     File Type                     ASCII File           UNIX
VMS                     DOS
Observation         	     ssssdddf.yyO  ssssdddf.yyD.Z
ssssdddf.yyD_Z   ssssdddf.yyE
GPS Navigation      	     ssssdddf.yyN  ssssdddf.yyN.Z  ssssdddf.yyN_Z
ssssdddf.yyX
GLONASS Navigation  ssssdddf.yyG  ssssdddf.yyG.Z  ssssdddf.yyG_Z
ssssdddf.yyV
Met Data            	     ssssdddf.yyM  ssssdddf.yyM.Z  ssssdddf.yyM_Z
ssssdddf.yyW

 ssss:  4-character station code
 ddd :  day of the first record
  yy :  year of the first record
  f :  file sequence number within the day
        (0:  containing all data of the day)
         Hourly files use 'a' for 00:00:00 - 00:59:30 UT
                         'b' for 01:00:00 - 01:59:30 UT
                          .
                          . 
                         'x' for 23:00:00 - 23:59:30 UT

The extension yyD (or yyE in DOS) indicates Hatanaka-compressed files.

2.1.3.  Local Geodetic Ties

The local geodetic ties between the GLONASS equipment and all geodetic
equipment in the vicinity (GPS, DORIS, SLR, VLBI, PRARE,..) must be
performed, documented in the site log and made available before the start of
the Pilot Project. The ties have to be reported as Cartesian coordinate
differences (delta X/Y/Z) parallel enough to the Earth-centered ITRS to
maintain the accuracy of a few millimeters.

2.2.  IGLOS Data Centers

One of the final goals of IGLOS is the total incorporation of the GLONASS
data into the IGS data flow.

Therefore we ask the existing IGS Data Centers (Global, Regional, Local) to
confirm their intentions to extend their activities to the handling of the
GLONASS data following the IGS guidelines with necessary adjustments
according to decisions to be taken by the IGLOS-PP Committee and the IGS
Central Bureau.

The proposal should describe the maximum number of additional stations from
which data can be received, stored and made available for anonymous ftp
access.

2.3.  IGLOS Analysis Centers

Analysis Centers will process tracking data of the IGLOS-PP network in order
to calculate and make available products which facilitate the use of
combined GPS and GLONASS observations for scientific and engineering
applications.  Initially, the list of products should cover

		a.  precise satellite orbits 
		     (initial operational capability 20-50cm /10-cm level in
the long run)
		b.  satellite clock estimates
		c.  station coordinates.

Two types of Analysis Centers are defined in this Call for Participation: 
 
*	Type 1 IGLOS Analysis Centers should produce orbit, clock, and
station solutions in the same time frame as the IGS Analysis Centers.  

*	Type 2 IGLOS Analysis Centers should produce orbit, clock, and
station solutions within 3 weeks of observations (with the goal of
approaching the time frame of Type 1 IGLOS Analysis Centers within the
period of operation of IGLOS-PP). 
 
Moreover, IGLOS Analysis Centers are encouraged to study in detail the
enhanced potential of combined GPS/GLONASS data for improving the quality of
their Earth rotation parameters and atmospheric monitoring products as well
as the impact of incorporation of SLR observations in the routine
processing. 

Data Analysis has to follow as far as possible recommendations given in the
IERS Standards.  The full integration of GLONASS into IGS products,
operations and programs is an important goal of this Pilot Project. 

2.4.  IGLOS Associate Analysis Centers

In the IGLOS Pilot Project, we are seeking groups to perform independent
routine analyses and evaluations of orbits, clocks, receivers, baselines,
regional networks or other entities including specifically:

a.  Comparison of results (obtained by the various Analysis Centers) similar
to those routinely performed by the IGS and IGLOS Analysis Coordinators

b.  Evaluations based on independent techniques, e.g., SLR observations. 

Proposals from SLR Analysis Centers and other analysis groups are
encouraged.

3.  Instructions for Submitting Proposals

Proposals submitted in response to the Call for Participation should
contain:

     -  the completed proposal form signed by an authorized official
representative of
	   the organization

      -  a detailed plan describing the activities proposed by the
organization

Send proposals to:

     [email-masked]  (ASCII preferred)

and

     Ruth Neilan
     Director, IGS Central Bureau
     Jet Propulsion Laboratory   MS 238-540
     4800 Oak Grove Drive 
     Pasadena, CA 91109, U.S.A.

For proposals submitted by e-mail, please send a copy of the completed
proposal form with the original signature page by regular mail.

Questions can be sent to:

     Jim Slater
     National Imagery and Mapping Agency 
     Mail Stop D-68 
     4600 Sangamore Rd.
     Bethesda, MD 20816-5003, U.S.A.
 
     Phone: 301-227-4549
     Fax: 301-227-4749
     E-mail: [email-masked]

4.  Proposal Form

PROPOSAL SUBMITTED IN RESPONSE TO THE CALL FOR PARTICIPATION - INTERNATIONAL
GLONASS SERVICE PILOT PROJECT (IGLOS-PP)

Proposing Organization:

Point of Contact:

Name:

Address:

Telephone:
FAX:
E-mail:

Authorizing Official:

		Name:

		Address:

		Telephone:
		FAX:
		E-mail:

		Signature:

Proposal for:

IGLOS Observing Station

IGLOS Data Center

IGLOS Analysis Center

IGLOS Associate Analysis Center

For Joint proposals:

Collaborating institutions:

Contacts:

Detailed Proposal:

............................................................................
.........................
JIM SLATER        (301)227-4549      Fax: (301)227-4749     E-mail:
[email-masked]
NIMA, GICS, MS D-68, 4600 Sangamore Rd., Bethesda, MD 20816-5003, U.S.A.

"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is
research" - Anon.