Subject: [IGEXMail-0218] FIRST CIRCULAR
From: "James A. Slater" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 1999 21:48:03

Boundary="0__=NFjHCs1z1zv4BOVmuTP5lc3oeYzWLGsMqs97kWDs6dUQTSbubRwwkxFf"
Content-Disposition: inline
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

******************************************************************************
IGEX Electronic Mail    19-Feb-1999 21:48:03                   Message No 0218
******************************************************************************

Author: "James A. Slater" <[email-masked]>
Subject: FIRST CIRCULAR: IGEX-98 WORKSHOP

--0__=NFjHCs1z1zv4BOVmuTP5lc3oeYzWLGsMqs97kWDs6dUQTSbubRwwkxFf
Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline

                                 First Circular

              INTERNATIONAL GLONASS EXPERIMENT (IGEX-98) WORKSHOP
                             September 13-14, 1999
                          Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.

The first coordinated international campaign to collect and analyze GLONASS
satellite data began on October 19, 1998 and is scheduled to terminate on April
19, 1999.  This International GLONASS Experiment (IGEX-98) was jointly sponsored
by the International Association of Geodesy
--0__=NFjHCs1z1zv4BOVmuTP5lc3oeYzWLGsMqs97kWDs6dUQTSbubRwwkxFf
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

?s (IAG) Commission VIII for the
International Coordination of Space Techniques for Geodesy and Geodynam=
ics, the
Institute of Navigation?s (ION) GLONASS-GPS Interoperability Working Gr=
oup, the
International GPS Service (IGS), and the International Earth Rotation S=
ervice
(IERS).  The IGEX-98 Steering Committee, the ION and the IGS are organi=
zing a
joint workshop on September 13-14, 1999 to discuss the results of IGEX-=
98 and
possible plans for the future.  This workshop will be held in conjuncti=
on with
the ION Satellite Division?s 12th International Technical Meeting GPS-9=
9 in
Nashville, Tennessee (U.S.).

The workshop will be an opportunity for participants to present and com=
pare
their findings, observations, and analyses resulting from the IGEX camp=
aign.  It
will be a time to assess whether or not the objectives of the experimen=
t were
met and to discuss future plans for using and supporting GLONASS.  Pote=
ntial
topics for the workshop include:

=B7    GLONASS status and plans
=B7    IGEX-98 overview, status, participation, geopolitical issues, te=
chnical
issues
=B7    The Russian perspective on GLONASS and IGEX
=B7    Data issues -- network operations, station information, data acc=
essibility
=B7    Lessons learned about tracking, processing and analyzing GLONASS=
 data and
how these compare with GPS
=B7    Interoperability of GLONASS and GPS
=B7    Orbit determination, evaluation and comparisons (including SLR
observations)
=B7    Geodetic positioning
=B7    Timing
=B7    Reference frames and datum transformations
=B7    Software developments -- problems and solutions
=B7    Receiver technology and performance
=B7    Atmospheric and ionospheric studies using ground- and space-base=
d receivers
=B7    Future directions for a GLONASS tracking network, data products,=
 and data
analyses.

The workshop will be a combination of invited papers, oral and poster
presentations submitted in response to a Call for Papers, and panel dis=
cussions
organized around specific issues or topics.  Anyone is welcome to atten=
d and
participate.

The IGEX workshop will be run as a separate event prior to the GPS-99
conference.  It will be the forum for this year?s meeting of the ION GL=
ONASS-GPS
Interoperability Working Group (GGIWG).  A small registration fee will =
be
required for all attendees. Workshop attendees who also wish to attend =
ION?s
GPS-99 Technical Meeting after the workshop ends will be required to pa=
y the
standard conference registration fee.

Nashville is known as Music City, U.S.A.  It is the home of countless m=
usicians
and songwriters, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame.=

Bluegrass, jazz and other styles of music can also be found in Nashvill=
e.  Other
attractions include a 19th century Southern Plantation (Belle Meade), t=
he home
of Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the U.S. (Hermitage), and O=
pryland
Themepark.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:

Jim Slater, Chair
NIMA, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 703-588-7431

Carey Noll, Co-chair
NASA GSFC, U.S.A.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-614-6542

Werner Gurtner, University of Berne, Switzerland ([email-masked]=
)
Wlodek Lewandowski, BIPM, France ([email-masked])
Pratap Misra, M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratories, U.S.A. ([email-masked])
Ruth Neilan, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, U.S.A. ([email-masked]=
.gov)
Robert Weber, Technical University of Vienna, Austria ([email-masked]=
en.ac.at)
Pascal Willis, Institut Geographique National, France
([email-masked])

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Specific information about the workshop including the meeting circulars=
, program
details and registration procedures will be available on the ION GGIWG =
web site
under the IGEX heading at http://www.ion.org/workgroup.html and also at=
 the IGN
IGEX web site http://lareg.ensg.ign.fr/IGEX. Information about register=
ing for
the ION Satellite Division Meeting GPS-99 and general information about=

Nashville will be available on the ION web site at http://www.ion.org.
Questions can be addressed to the Chair or Co-chair of the Organizing C=
ommittee.

=

--0__=NFjHCs1z1zv4BOVmuTP5lc3oeYzWLGsMqs97kWDs6dUQTSbubRwwkxFf--