Subject: [IGEXMail-0019] No 0019
From: "Dr Thomas A Clark (W3IWI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1998 07:16:52

Cc: Mark Bryant <[email-masked]>, Tom Clark <[email-masked]>
Subject: No 0019 : Z-18 Firmware
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

******************************************************************************
IGEX Electronic Mail    07-Oct-1998 07:16:52                   Message No 0019
******************************************************************************

Author: "Dr Thomas A Clark (W3IWI)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Z-18 Firmware

Author: Tom Clark

To assist in distribution, I have placed two recent Ashtech software
releases on my aleph anonymous ftp server at URL
  
      ftp://aleph.gsfc.nasa.gov/GPS/igex/z18/

The file named z18_v057.zip (751 kbytes) is the newest Z18 firmware
update. I installed it Oct.6 in the GODZ Z18. A few words of caution:
   a. Edit the batch file to reflect your PC's COM port and use it
      to run the loader under MSDOS.
   b. The COM port must be connected to the BOOT port on the Z18.
   c. When you see "Waiting for NACK" message, cycle the Z18 power.
   d. I had the loading freeze at one point. Cycling the power
      allowed the loading to proceed.

The file named gbss_v2101.zip (5.4 meg) is a pre-release beta version
of a new GBSS controller; I am running it in W98. The GBSS software
requires you to enter a valid serial number and have a "dongle" Sentinel
attached to the PC. For me, the major enhancement is that GBSS now has
a built-in RINEX2 converter done by Ben Remondi (XYZ). It can be set up
to generate incremental RINEX files at the same time that the receiver's
binary files are being generated. Included in the ZIP archiive is a HUGE
(~13 meg) RTF document file on the GBSS software. If you use Word to read 
the RTF file, save it as a much more sane DOC file!

I will soon post a couple of photos of our GODE/GODZ installation on
aleph for those who are interested.

Reagrds -- Tom Clark