Subject: [AFREF-9] Abstract of the 2 workshop :nafref project
From: "benhamouda fethi" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:13:09 -0000

******************************************************************************
AFREF Mail               25 Jun 10:56:21 PDT 2001      Message Number 9
******************************************************************************

Author: benhamouda fethi

Dear Collegues

Please find in the attachment the abstract of the resoltions of the second 
workworhsop on the "unification of the geodetic reference system in North 
Africa". Algiers, 26 and 27 may 2001.

--------------------------------------------------------
                   Report on the second workshop
"unification of the geodetic reference system in North Africa"

In May 26 and 27, 2001, the second workshop related to the unification
of North African geodetic reference system was held at Hotel El
Aurassi,Algiers, Algeria, organized by the National Institut of cartography 
and Remote Sensing of Algeria ["Institut National de Cartographie et de 
Télédétection (INCT)": Algerian Authority Survey] in association with the 
African Organisation of Cartographgy and Remote Sensing ["Organisation 
Africaine de Cartograpphie et de Télédétection (OACT)]".

The workshop focal point was the implementation of the North African
Reference Frame (called NAFREF). The implied countries are: Algeria,
Egypt, Lybia, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia.

During the workshop, three working groups were created:

Group 1: Definition and implementation of a Terrestrial Reference
System for North Africa

Group 2: Geoïd determination for North Africa

Group 3: Institutional Aspects

Members of these three groups were appointed: one representative per
country for each group.

A general Report (in french) on NAFREF project as defined and
discussed during this workshop was issued by the INCT describing the
main mission of the three groups as well as workshop recommendations
and summary. If you are interested by this report, please contact
Fethi Benhamouda (e-mail: [email-masked] and [email-masked]) to 
receive a copy.

The main conclusion remarks are as the following:

- The North African participants insisted on their (natural) need of
assistance by the international organizations (IAG Commission 10, IGS,
EUREF...) and institutions for the success of NAFREF project.

- The implication of outside organizations is a key element
of this project to help the implied countries working together.

- The participants emphasized on the coordination role which should be
organized by the OACT.

- The six countries are willing to start installing GPS permanent
   stations with the financial and technical support of the
international
   organizations. Interested institutions and organizations on GPS
   permanent stations in North Africa are encouraged to contact the
   OACT general secretary Dr. Muftah Unis (e-mail: [email-masked])

- An action planning was defined and adopted for the two main working
groups for the upcoming year (june 2001 - mai 2002). The two main
actions
to mention here are:

     * organization of a GPS observation campaign to be realized in
       October - November 2001. This campaing will be a test of the
       feasibility of a common work between the 6 implied countries.
       Interested organizations to help in this cammaign should
       contact the OACT.

     * Geoïd computation using the existing data in the 6 countries

- The next workshop is planned to be held in Morocco, may 2002

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.