Subject: [AFREF-19] Confirming AFREF Splinter Meeting in Nice, 4.23
From: "Ruth E. Neilan" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: IGS Governing Board:;, Rob Reilinger <[email-masked]>, "Richter, Dr. Bernd" <[email-masked]>, Mireille Gerard <[email-masked]>, ALAN DODSON <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:31:29 -0700

******************************************************************************
AFREF Mail               16 Apr 16:34:50 PDT 2002      Message Number 19
******************************************************************************

Author: Ruth Neilan

Ad-hoc meeting:  on-going efforts to establish a continental 
reference system in Africa  - 'AFREF'

Dear colleagues,

The AFREF Ad-hoc Splinter meeting will be held at the Nice Novotel 
Hotel, Tuesday April 23 16:30 - ~18:00 at the venue of the EGS, in 
Nice, France. It is very close to the Acropolis Convention Center. 
Currently, about a dozen people have replied that they plan to 
attend, and others who can not attend request a summary of the 
meeting. I expect that others may join the meeting based on 
conversations to date.

Here is a tentative agenda for your consideration:

- Introductions and interests/motivations for 'AFREF'	All
- Agenda adjustments

- Short, informal reports:

   o Summary of IAG/ICSU Proposal		Neilan

   o Recent activities in northern Africa, NAREF	Doha (Kalouche can not attend)

   o Update on southern Africa, SAREF	Wonnacott

   o Related Activities	Reilinger

   o Others.....

   o UN/GNSS Workshop, Lusaka, Zambia July 14-19	Neilan

- Discussion on key issues and approach

The main purpose is to keep people from the various regions apprised 
of activities within Africa, and the need for the geodetic, 
consistent framework. This also allows us to explore the 
commonalities, technical approach, partnering opportunities, 
standards, scientific and engineering goals, etc. Such ad-hoc 
meetings with the global geodetic community can help support more 
formal and progressive meetings within Africa on the AFREF initiative.

looking forward to seeing you soon,

Ruth

Confirmed response list to date:

Blitzkow, Brazil
Combrinck, South Africa
Daho, Algeria
Feissel, France
Ferland, Canada (IGS Reference Frame Coordinator)
Mahmoud, Egypt
Moore, USA
Neilan, USA
Plag, Norway
Reilinger, USA
Rui Fernandes, Netherlands
Soehne, Germany
Wonnacott, South Africa